Nebraska Wesleyan University's Honors Academy Dual Credit Program is an innovative program designed for gifted and highly motivated high school juniors and seniors who are passionate about learning and excited by the challenges of earning college credit by taking selected advanced-level courses taught by their high school teachers.
- Students must be juniors or seniors in high school.
- NWU recommends that students should have a B+ or better average in their prerequisite high school courses. However, the high school teacher serves an important role in counseling students interested in NWU Honors Academy and assessing their likely level of success.
Tuition and Payment
Tuition is currently $95 per credit hour. You will receive a bill in the mail, please pay at that time. There are no additional fees or charges for text books.
Payment options for Honors Academy courses include:
- Check: You can mail a check or money order for the full amount once billed.
- You may call the billing office and pay with a credit card at (402) 465-2118.
- Scholarships: Students demonstrating financial need may apply for and receive an ACE (Accessing College Early) scholarship available through the Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Post-Secondary Education, which reviews the application for award consideration. Contact your high school counselor to complete the scholarship application as soon as possible.
NWU Honors Academy Registration
To register for the Nebraska Wesleyan Honors Academy and NWU college credit, complete the online NWU Honors Academy registration form. The form includes:
- conditions of credit, including the title of the high school course and the comparable NWU course
- college credits available
- tuition amounts
- enrollment/withdrawal deadlines
- instructions for payment of tuition
Deadline for Registration
Regular registration for classes starting in August runs through the first Friday in October. For classes starting in January, the regular registration deadline is the second Friday in February.
Late registrations will be accepted if they are submitted within two weeks of the registration deadline using the online registration form. A $15.00 late registration fee will be assessed if your registration occurs during the late add period. After the two week late add period, registration can only be made through a petition process.
Late Registration by Committee Petition: The university’s Academic Petition process will be used to review registration requests for credit after the two-week, late-registration period.
- Use online Drop/Withdraw/Add form.
- The student must have a legitimate reason for the request.
- Requests must be approved electronically by the high school instructor who supports the legitimacy of the request.
- The petition requires approval from the Honors Academy Director and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Dean.
If late registration is granted, payment for the course credit and the late registration fee must be made immediately after the bill is received in the mail.
Dropping an Honors Academy Course
Students must be enrolled for the entire semester/year in a course approved for Wesleyan Honors Academy to receive NWU credit.
- If the NWU Honors Academy student drops the high school course, they also must drop the Nebraska Wesleyan course by the deadline stated on the enrollment form for a refund of tuition.
- If a student withdraws from the Wesleyan course after the deadline, a refund will not be granted.
- Failure to follow withdrawal procedures will result in a grade of “F” on the NWU transcript.
In January, the Nebraska Wesleyan Business Office mails 1098T statements to all students who were enrolled in Honors Academy classes during the previous year. For questions about your 1098T, please contact the Business Office.
ACT Prep Workshops
Nebraska Wesleyan University offers free ACT Prep Workshops to students in Honors Academy classes. Upcoming workshop dates and registration should be clarified with the Honors Academy instructor who is sent a ACT Test Prep information flyer (PDF). You may RSVP for an ACT Prep Workshop with the online RSVP form. The workshops are held on NWU campus from 10 a.m. – noon. Upcoming workshop dates are:
- August 25, 2018
- October 20, 2018
- December 1, 2018
Nebraska Wesleyan University is fully accredited through the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The Nebraska Wesleyan Honors Academy program is an accredited member of the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships (NACEP).