Elder Gallery to Feature "Sideways Glance"
Elder Gallery’s new exhibit, “Sideways Glance,” will jostle with the familiar.
Curated by Josh Johnson of Omaha, “Sideways Glance” gathers artwork that requires a slower read. Through installation, paintings, and sculptures, the work included by six artists challenges initial perceptions, as the familiar is jostled out of place by a shift in perspective.
The exhibit opens March 14 and continues through April 13. A reception will be held Friday, March 17 from 5 to 7 p.m. A gallery talk will begin at 6 p.m.
Featured artists include:
- Qwist Joseph — Riverside, Calif., BFA from Colorado State University, MFA from University of Nebraska-Lincoln; In 2016 he was selected as an emerging artist by Ceramics Monthly, and a Windgate Scholar summer resident by the Archie Bray Foundation in Helena, Mont.
- Michael Ian Larsen — Lincoln, Neb., BFA from Nebraska Wesleyan University, MFA from School of the Art Institute of Chicago; His first solo exhibition took place at Chicago’s Peregrine Program. His work typically incorporates ceramic objects and figures within carefully orchestrated installations.
- Emily Newman — Assistant professor of Art at Drake University; BFA from Syracuse University, MFS from University of Nebraska-Lincoln; uses a variety of subject matter, traditional materials, and processes to make sculptures, drawings, and photographs often originating in experiences of perception.
- Erin Schoenbeck — Lincoln, Neb., BFA from Northwest Missouri State, MFA from University of Nebraska-Lincoln; works across disciplines often making relief sculpture in wood, plastic or cast materials.
- Amanda Smith — Omaha, Neb., BA from University of Puget Sound, MFA from University of Nebraska-Lincoln; she has exhibited and lectured nationally and internationally and is currently the gallery manager at the Union for Contemporary Art in Omaha.
- Michael Villarreal — Lincoln, Neb., BFA from Texas State University, current MFA student at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln; Has exhibited his work nationally at multiple commercial art galleries and art centers for commercial art.
Elder Gallery is located in the Rogers Center for Fine Arts on the Nebraska Wesleyan University campus at 50th Street and Huntington Ave. The gallery is open Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., and Saturday-Sunday, 1 to 4 p.m. Admission and parking are free.