Gender Studies Careers
What Can I Do with a Gender Studies Degree?
Gender Studies provides in-depth knowledge of the conditions of women in various cultures and societies, as well as the strategies and organizational skills needed to address gender inequalities and women’s struggles. Many bachelor’s degree holders will find positions in related fields, such as social services, education, public policy or other areas.
A Gender Studies degree, along with other prerequisite requirements, can make you a desirable candidate for medical school, law school, and business school, as well as a number of fields in the humanities and social sciences: anthropology, the arts, counseling, library science, international studies, history, philosophy, public health, public policy and sociology—even graduate degrees in the sciences, engineering, and informatics.
For detailed information about Gender Studies degree career opportunities, see also Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook: Sociologists.
Gender Studies knowhow can be applied to many different occupations such as advertising, marketing, public relations, sales, social work, counseling, rape crisis, domestic violence, mental health and diversity training.
- Legislative Aide
- Public Relations Specialist
- Marketing Communications Specialist
- Customer Relations Representative
- Sales Representative/Manager
- Domestic Violence Survivors Advocate
- Rape Assistance and Awareness Program Manager
- Union Organizer
- Affirmative Action Coordinator
- Social Worker
- Community Program Coordinator
- Family Services Case Worker/Administrator
- Women’s Affairs Journalist
- Admissions Counselor
- Student Advisor
- Sensitivity/Diversity Trainer
- Human Rights Advocate
- Victim’s Advocate
- Patient Advocate
- Volunteer Services Administrator
- International Human Rights Program Coordinator/Manager
- Residential Care Manager
- Coordinator/Specialist/Manager for Women’s Organizations; e.g., League of Women’s Voters, National Organization of Women, Women in Communications, etc.
- Women’s Correction Officer
- Peace Corps Volunteer
- Journalist/Feature Writer
- Grant Writer