Program Overview for Counselors
Nebraska Wesleyan University's Honors Academy Dual Credit Program is an innovative program designed for gifted and highly motivated high school juniors and seniors who are passionate about learning and excited by the challenges of earning college credit by taking selected advanced-level courses taught by their high school teachers.
- Students must be juniors or seniors in high school.
- NWU recommends that students should have a B+ or better average in their prerequisite high school courses. However, the high school teacher serves an important role in counseling students interested in NWU Honors Academy and assessing their likely level of success.
Tuition and Payment
Tuition is currently $95 per credit hour. You will receive a bill in the mail, please pay at that time. There are no additional fees or charges for text books or lab fees.
Payment options for Honors Academy courses include:
- Check: You can mail a check or money order for the full amount once billed.
- Online: You may pay with a credit card or electronic check by submitting this form https://www.nebrwesleyan.edu/wha-payment.
- Scholarships: Students demonstrating financial need may apply for and receive an ACE (Accessing College Early) scholarship available through the Nebraska Coordinating Commission for Post-Secondary Education, which reviews the application for award consideration. Contact your high school counselor to complete the scholarship application as soon as possible. ACE scholarships are on a first-come/first-serve basis, and the student must be enrolled in the college course to be considered. For the 2020-21 academic year, ACE will pay up to two courses.
NWU Honors Academy Registration
To register for the Nebraska Wesleyan Honors Academy and NWU college credit, complete the online NWU Honors Academy registration form. The form includes:
- conditions of credit, including the title of the high school course and the comparable NWU course
- college credits available
- tuition amounts
- enrollment/withdrawal deadlines
- instructions for payment of tuition
Deadline for Registration
Regular registration for classes starting in August runs through the first Friday in October. For classes starting in January, the regular registration deadline is the second Friday in February.
Late registrations will be accepted if they are submitted within two weeks of the registration deadline using the online registration form. A $15.00 late registration fee will be assessed if your registration occurs during the late add period. After the two week late add period, registration can only be made through a petition process.
Dropping or Withdrawing from a Course
Enrolled students desiring to be removed from a Wesleyan Honors Academy course must make their request the the petition process.
- If the NWU Honors Academy student drops the high school course, they also must drop the Nebraska Wesleyan course by the deadline stated on the enrollment form for a refund of tuition.
- If a student withdraws from the Wesleyan course after the deadline, a refund will not be granted.
- Failure to follow withdrawal procedures will result in a grade of “F” on the NWU transcript.
In January, the Nebraska Wesleyan Business Office mails 1098T statements to all students who were enrolled in Honors Academy classes during the previous year. For questions about your 1098T, please contact the Business Office.
ACT Prep Workshops
Nebraska Wesleyan University offers free ACT Prep Workshops to students in Honors Academy classes. Upcoming workshop dates and registration should be clarified with the Honors Academy instructor who is sent a ACT Test Prep information flyer. You may RSVP for an ACT Prep Workshop with the online RSVP form. The workshops are held on NWU campus from 10 a.m. – noon.
Nebraska Wesleyan University is fully accredited through the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools. The Nebraska Wesleyan Honors Academy program is an accredited member of the National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships (NACEP).