The Cooper Center offers all free individual and group peer-to-peer tutoring for all students at NWU. You can make an appointment with a Cooper Tutor through the Tutor Matching Service (TMS) app on your iPhone, Android, or iPad. You can also make an appointment by clicking on the Schedule Tutoring Session button.
Cooper Tutors are NWU students who have demonstrated competence in particular subject areas and have good communication skills. They are trained by Dr. Melissa Hayes in using collaborative learning techniques and model how to learn, rather than solely focusing on the course content. They facilitate study sessions or tutoring appointments up to three times per week in order to assist their peers with critical thinking and study strategies that can transfer across disciplines and courses.
Students who work with Cooper Tutors will discover appropriate application of study strategies (e.g., note taking, graphic organization, questioning techniques, vocabulary acquisition and test preparation) as they review content material. They will develop a greater understanding of course material while fostering relationships and having fun with other students!
Cooper Tutors will help you develop and strengthen your study skills, but what can you do to prepare for your session(s)?
- Bring everything you need to study—books, notes, pens/pencils, paper, calculator, laptop, etc.
- Be punctual and considerate.
- Be ready to engage in conversation and to learn how to answer your own questions. Cooper Tutors will not be telling you the answers all the time.
- Be as specific as possible about what you are hoping to achieve in the tutoring session.
- Attempt homework on your own before your session.
- Avoid looking at or using your cell phone.