Knowledge is good.
- Emil Faber
B.S. Wayne State College 1989
M.A. University of Nebraska-Lincoln 1991
Ph.D. University of Nebraska-Lincoln 2002
COMM 1250 - Introduction to Communication Studies
COMM 2600 - Mass Media
COMM 3200 - Persuasion
COMM 4100 - Communication in the Professions
IDS 1010 - Songs of Ascent: The Music and Meaning of U2
COMM 1250 - Introduction to Communication Studies TTh 2-3:40
COMM 2600 - Mass Media TTh 8-9:40
COMM 3200 - Persuasion MWF 8:20-9:30
- Whitt, D. (2020). Popular Music in the Classroom: Essays for Instructors. Jefferson, NC: McFarland Publishing.
- Whitt, D. & Perlich, J. (2014). Myth in the Modern World: Essays on Intersections with Ideology and Culture. Jefferson, NC: McFarland Publishing.
- Perlich, J. & Whitt, D. (2010). Millennial Mythmaking: Essays on the Power of Science Fiction and
Fantasy Literature, Films, and Games. Jefferson, NC: McFarland Publishing.
- Whitt, D. & Perlich, J. (2008). Sith, Slayers, Stargates and Cyborgs: Modern Mythology in the New
Millennium. New York: Peter Lang Publishing.
- Whitt, D. (2013). "Whatever you do, don't blink!": Gothic Horror and the Weeping Angels Trilogy." In
G.Leitch (Ed.). Doctor Who in Time and Space: Essays on Themes, Characters, History and Fandom,
1963-2012. Jefferson, NC: McFarland Publishing.
- Whitt, D. (2013). "I can get college credit for reading Batman? That's a joke right?": Confessions of a
Fanboy Professor Teaching Comic Books. In C.K. Syma & Rr. Weiner (Eds.). Graphic Novels and
Comics in the Classroom: Essays on the Educational Power of Sequential Art. Jefferson, NC:
- Charney, C. & Whitt, D. (September, 2014). "Music as a medium to engage students." The Scholarly Teacher.
Research Interests: Film, TV, Music & Popular Culture
2018 NWU article on U2 conference attended in Belfast, Northern Ireland: https://www.nebrwesleyan.edu/about-nwu/news-center/research-takes-stude…
2017 Jacobs Media Strategies The Guest List: 5 Reasons Why It's Important to Teach Popular Music History. https://jacobsmedia.com/5-reasons-why-its-important-to-teach-popular-mu…
2015 TEDx Lincoln Speaker with Karla Jensen "Happiness is Serious Business"
2012 NWU Communication Professor is First American to Judge Croatian Film Festival https://www.nebrwesleyan.edu/about-nwu/news-center/nwu-communication-pr…
2018-2019 NWU Exemplary Teacher Award https://www.nebrwesleyan.edu/about-nwu/news-center/communication-studie…
2014 Wayne State College School of Arts & Humanities Outstanding Alumnus Award
2014 NWU Faculty Scholarship Presentation Award
2012 Top Paper Presentation Award Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) Conference,
Taichung, Taiwan. From Guthrie to Dylan to Springsteen: Using Music Videos on YouTube to
Teach ESL Students American History and Culture.