For Fall 2020, let us come to you for a Zoom or FaceTime scholarship audition. If you prefer, upload a pre-recorded audio file to the online scholarship application, or provide us a link to your video from a website like YouTube, Vimeo or SoundCloud.
To begin your audition process, please fill out the online scholarship application. Our goal is to make you comfortable so you can show us your talents and abilities. If auditioning online, we want to give you a chance to get to know us in a stress-free environment.
The Bennett Music Scholarship
Named in honor of Oscar “Pop” Bennett, these scholarships are awarded to outstanding prospective students who plan to major in vocal music. Scholarships vary in amount and are renewable.
The Marshall Music Scholarship
Named in honor of Robert Marshall, these scholarships are awarded to outstanding prospective students who plan to major in instrumental music. Scholarships vary in amount and are renewable.
The Harrod Music Scholarship
Named in honor of Beth Miller Harrod, these scholarships are awarded to outstanding prospective students who plan to major in piano. Scholarships vary in amount and are renewable.
The Fosbury Music Scholarship
Named in honor of M. Evelyn Fosbury, these scholarships are awarded to outstanding prospective students who plan to major in strings. Scholarships vary in amount and are renewable.
Music Ensemble Participation Scholarship
Students of all majors are eligible to receive a music scholarship at NWU. For students who want to participate in music ensembles, we offer the Music Ensemble Participation Scholarship (EPS). Scholarships vary in amount and are renewable. To receive an EPS, students must participate in a music ensemble as assigned by the music faculty.
To learn more about music scholarships see Competitive Scholarships.
Fall 2020 Electronic Auditions
For Fall 2020, let us come to you for a Zoom or FaceTime scholarship audition! If you prefer, upload a pre-recorded audio/video file to this application, or provide us a link to a website (such as YouTube or SoundCloud.
Spring 2021 Audition Dates
- Saturday, January 16, 2021
- Thursday, February 11, 2021* (Wesleyan Honors Festival participants only)
- Saturday, February 20, 2021
- Saturday, March 20, 2021
- other dates by appointment (contact Kathy Benischek at (402) 465-2269 or kmb [at] nebrwesleyan.edu)
*tentative, dependent upon COVID-19 health conditions
Eligibility Requirements for Audition
- Auditions are open to high school seniors and transfer students
- Online or pre-recorded auditions are available in fall 2020. In spring 2021, we hope to host live auditions again, but online or pre-recorded auditions are welcome.
- For live or online auditions, students must submit a music scholarship application no later than two weeks before their preferred audition date
- Prepare a program of not more than 10 minutes according to the following recommendations:
- VOCAL: If auditioning for a Bennett Scholarship, please prepare at least two contrasting selections from standard solo vocal repertoire (art song, opera, folk song, sacred music, gospel, musical theatre). Memorization is recommended. If auditioning for a Music Ensemble Participation Scholarship, please prepare one or two selections from standard vocal repertoire. Memorization is optional.
- INSTRUMENTAL: Choose quality solo literature to show your talent. Memorization is not required.
- PIANO: Choose two selections of contrasting style from the standard piano repertoire. Memorization is recommended. Be prepared to sight-read a short accompaniment.
- If auditioning online (or making a recording), use of an accompaniment track is acceptable. If auditioning live, bring your accompanist or let one of our staff accompanists play for you. If using an NWU accompanist, please attach your music to the online application.
- Students must have completed their FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and returned it to the NWU Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid to receive notification of music scholarship awards.
- Fill out the online application