Bardsley Honored With University's Story Award
For the first time in 27 years, a Nebraska Wesleyan University student has been honored with the Roy G. Story Award, an honor that recognizes individuals or groups of faculty, administrators, staff members or volunteers whose accomplishments have significantly enhanced the national stature of the university.
On August 19 Trey Bardsley was recognized with the prestigious award.
“He’s a student whose athletic achievement, leadership, and character captivated the Nebraska Wesleyan community and brought national attention to himself, Coach Dale Wellman and his staff, and the Prairie Wolves men’s basketball team,” said President Fred Ohles.
Bardsley graduated in May with a degree in business administration. He is also one of NWU’s most accomplished basketball players.
His accomplishments include:
Five school records:
- Most points in a season – 875
- Most points per game for a season – 29.1
- Most 3-pointers in a career – 321
- Most 3-pointers in a season – 146
- Most 3-pointers in a game – 11
- Career high 55 points in the GPAC tournament semifinals
- Averaged 43.5 points in 4 postseason games and made 54 percent of his 3-point attempts
- Led the nation with 146 made 3-pointers
- 8th in the nation, shooting 47% from 3-point range
- 10th in the nation in free throw percentage, 86%
- Led the Prairie Wolves to a 22-8 overall record and a trip to the NAIA Division II postseason tournament
- Jostens Trophy for the top basketball player in NCAA Division III
- Association of Division III Independents Player of the Year
- GPAC Basketball Player of the Year
- Lincoln Journal Star State College Athlete of the Year
- NWU’s 2015-16 Outstanding Senior Athlete
- NCAA Postgraduate Scholar
- 2nd Team Academic All-American
The award honors the legacy of Roy G. Story who graduated from NWU in 1919 and went on to a long, successful career with Texaco and Swift & Company, where he patented 50 inventions. The award is an enduring legacy of Story’s creativity and the value of the liberal arts education he received at NWU.
Previous Story Award winners include:
- 2014-2015 — Harry & Reba Huge Foundation
- 2013-2014 — Dr. William A. Wyman
- 2012-2013 — Archway Curriculum Process Team
- 2011-1212 — Global Service Learning (student organization)
- 2009-2010 — Coaching Staff
- 2009-2010 — Faculty
- 2007-08 — Global Studies Program