Preparing for Medical or Dental School Acceptance
- You will be required to schedule an appointment for an interview with two committee members. Dates and times will be posted. This interview is primarily to help the committee get to know you better so that we may compose the best possible collated letter for you.
- Schedule an appointment with the Career Center for a mock interview at least two weeks prior to your interview. The Career Center is open all summer and can also assist you with your personal statement.
- Complete the Pre-Health Application by April 15. This application consists of three forms, including an access waiver and consent form, and a personal data form. If you are applying to osteopathic medical schools, early decision to medical school or to dental school, please complete this form by March 15, 2017. If you are applying regular decision to medical school, complete the form by September 1, 2017.
- May-June: Fill out the American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS), the American Association of Osteopathic application services (AACOMAS) or the Associated American Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS) web forms.
- Be neat and proofread.
- Check and re-check spelling as admissions representatives will count the number of misspelled words in your application. Follow the directions! The deadline for filing your application depends on the school you select (see below). These applications will take you approximately one week to fill out and will then take 4-6 weeks to process and be sent to your designated school(s).
- The application services act as a central national clearinghouse. They in turn send your application to the schools you designate. Most U.S. medical and dental schools are members; others have their own application processes. Try to complete these applications THIS SUMMER, even if you are planning to apply regular decision to medical school. Most schools have rolling admissions, so the earlier you apply the better. Deadlines are as follows:
AMCAS August 1 - Early Decision
November 1 (most schools) - Regular Decision
AACOMAS February (most schools) AADSAS October 1 (UNMC)
- Submit materials as early as possible to avoid processing delays and missed deadlines. Processing does not begin until all required official transcripts are received and the application completed. Official Transcripts (OT) must be received within 14 calendar days after the application deadline. You will need to request that an official transcript is sent from each school you have attended, including college credit courses you may have taken in high school from a community college or other institution.
- Dental applicants: It is extremely important that you complete your application this summer. Dental schools begin interviewing in early September and may have their classes filled by December 1.
Dental School and Early Decision for Medical Schools
If you are planning to apply to dental school, begin EARLY. Plan to submit your application to AADSAS in June or as soon as you have your DAT results. Interviews begin with the start of the fall semester classes are typically full by early November (announced on December 1 for UNMC).
If you are applying Early Decision to medical school, you must submit your AMCAS application by July 31 to be considered. Take your MCAT in June, if possible, so you are able to receive your scores prior to submission of your application. For either dental or medical school application, be sure to schedule a practice interview at the Career Center.