Thirty-eight Nebraska Wesleyan University students and alumni were inducted into the Huge Society on October 25.
The inaugural induction ceremony honored students who received support from the Harry (’59) & Reba Huge Foundation. Nebraska Wesleyan’s Huge Society connects the academic expertise and intellectual talents of the student scholars through service projects and activities developed in collaboration with the foundation and NWU to promote cultural diversity and build community within the organization, the campus and across international borders.
In 2006, the Huge Foundation established the Huge Scholars Program at NWU. The competitive scholarships cover the costs of tuition, fees, and room and board.
“Harry and Reba Huge have blessed the lives of these students and our institution, as well as many others with their generosity,” said William Motzer, vice president for enrollment. “They inspire us to live lives of consequence and purpose.”
The transformative power of the Huges’ involvement with NWU is demonstrated by the success of the alumni who have received support from the Huge Foundation, said Motzer. For example, alumni are attending prestigious graduate schools like Stanford, Harvard, University of California San Francisco, Creighton and the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Many have also been recognized with internationally competitive scholarships including three Fulbright Scholarships and a Goldwater Scholarship.
Each year Huge Society members will participate in a Huge Scholar reunion, host an Estonia Independence Day celebration, and participate in a service project. Meghan Winchell, associate professor of history, serves as the society’s advisor.
Huge Society inductees, their former high schools and hometowns include:
- Alexandra Wohlgemuth (’11), Columbus Senior High, Columbus, Neb.
- Jessica Danson (’11), Lincoln Southwest, Lincoln, Neb.
- Kimberly Hill (’11), Millard North, Omaha, Neb.
- Evan Harpster (’12), Fremont Senior High, Fremont, Neb.
- Benjamin Wiese (’12), Ashland-Greenwood, Ashland, Neb.
- Lindsey Jones (’13), Lincoln Southeast, Lincoln, Neb.
- Sass Karemae (’13), Tallinn, Estonia
- Jordan Klimek (’13), Burwell, Burwell, Neb.
- Brittanie Simonsen (’13), Superior, Hardy, Neb.
- Kelsey Arends (’14), Lincoln Southwest, Lincoln, Neb.
- Emmalee Fishburn (’14), Omaha Central, Omaha, Neb.
- Anna-Marie Kroos (’14), Lincoln Northeast, Lincoln, Neb.
- Danae Sunderman (’14), Fremont Senior High, Fremont, Neb.
- Luke Evans (’15), Wisner-Pilger, Wisner, Neb.
- Taylor Pospisil (’15), Norfolk Catholic, Norfolk, Neb.
- Brock Taute (’15), Bertrand, Bertrand, Neb.
- Brianna Wieseler (’15), North Platte St. Patrick's Catholic, North Platte, Neb.
- Connor Bohlken (’16), Syracuse-Dunbar-Avoca, Syracuse, Neb.
- Elenita Donley (’16), Lincoln Southeast, Lincoln, Neb.
- Madison Lee (’16), Superior, Superior, Neb.
- Rachael Schmitt (’16), Lincoln Southeast, Lincoln, Neb.
- Tarryn Tietjen (’16), Thayer Central, Hebron, Neb.
- Katlyn Baker (’17), Berthoud, Berthoud, Colo.
- William Reimer (’17), Hastings Senior High, Hastings, Neb.
- Richard Zhou (’17), Concord Carlisle, Carlisle, Mass.
- Angie Cook (’18), Omaha Burke, Omaha, Neb.
- Anna Donley (’18), Lincoln Southeast, Lincoln, Neb.
- Abigail Feden (’18), Papillion-LaVista South, Papillion, Neb.
- Madeleine Miller (’18), Lincoln High, Lincoln, Neb.
- Joseph O'Connor (’18), Grand Island Central Catholic, Grand Island, Neb.
- Gwennan Plouzek (’18), Lincoln East, Lincoln, Neb.
- Alexander Souliere (’18), Lincoln Southeast, Lincoln, Neb.
- Natalie Tegtmeier (’18), Bruning-Davenport, Davenport, Neb.
- Chase Crispin (’19), Blair, Blair, Neb.
- Eric Kimberly (’19), Millard West, Omaha, Neb.
- Eli Lundak (’19), Norris, Lincoln, Neb.
- Daniel Novinski (’19), Grand Island Central Catholic, Grand Island, Neb.
- Katelyn Richerson (’19), Lincoln Southeast, Lincoln, Neb.
- Caitlyn Skuodas (’19), Pierce, Pierce, Neb.
- Natalia Spengler (’19), Juneau-Douglas, Juneau, Alaska