The following options are available to undergraduate students:
- Standard Pass/Fail. Students who wish to take a course offered on a standard basis for pass/fail may request to do so in the Registrar’s Office. To elect the pass/fail option, students submit a written request to the Registrar no later than the end of the sixth week of the semester. (Deadlines for winter term, summer and other shortened terms are prorated. See the published Academic Calendar for specific deadlines.) The instructor will not know that a student has elected the pass/fail option and will submit a traditional grade. Grades of “C-” and above are recorded as “P*” on the student’s transcript. Grades of “D+”, “D”, “D-” and “F” are recorded as “F*”.
- Pass/Fail Oriented. Students who wish to take a course offered on a pass/fail oriented basis for a traditional grade submit a written request to the Registrar’s Office no later than the end of the sixth week of the semester. (Deadlines for winter term, summer and other shortened terms are adjusted accordingly.) In this case, the instructor will turn in a traditional grade rather than a “P” or “F” as usual.
The following regulations are in effect:
- Grades of “P*” and “P” are not computed in the student’s grade point average; grades of “F*” and “F” are computed in the average.
- Grades of “P*” may not be used to meet requirements for a major, minor or supporting program without permission from the chair of the department offering the major or minor.
- Students classified as freshmen may not declare a course pass/fail.
- Students classified as sophomore and above may declare one course pass/fail in a term. (This limitation does not apply to courses of 1 hour or fewer or to courses designated Pass/Fail Only or Pass/Fail Oriented.)
- Students may use only one course with a grade of P* toward the Archway Curriculum. The course must be in the Foundational Literacies area.