What Can I Do with an English Degree?
The ability to express ideas well in writing and to comprehend and organize large amounts of complex material are perhaps the quickest ways to stand out in any career field. The Nebraska Wesleyan English degree is a versatile program which provides a wide variety of potential career paths.
- Journalism: With the addition of journalism minor, student can gain practical skills in news reporting, feature writing, photography and mass media.
- Creative Writing: With the addition of a writing minor, students can gain practical skills in writing fiction, poetry and scripts for television movies, and radio.
- Business and Technical Writing: Business and technical writers also are in high demand for their ability to write marketing communication pieces, press releases, employee communications, documentation, grants, training materials and proposals.
- Teaching: Combine your interests in literature, writing, and language theory (linguistics, history of English, and rhetoric) to become an English teacher. See also Education Department requirements.
English majors often pursue graduate studies in English, law, library science, and many other programs.
- Adult Literacy Teacher
- K-12 English Teacher
- Journalist, Feature Writer or Columnist
- Public Relations Writer (press releases, speeches, social media)
- Human Resources Writer (policies and procedures)
- Marketing Communications Copywriter
- Advertising Copywriter
- Script Writer for broadcast radio and television, as well as corporate marketing and employee communications videos
- Technical documentation writer
- Manuals for hardware, software, operations, procedures, policies, quality assurance
- Requests for proposals and their responses
- White papers
- Product specification sheets
- Software and online help
- Grant writer
- Freelance magazine writer, travel writer, columnist
- Author, short fiction, poetry, novels and non-fiction
- Playwright or Screenwriter
- Web Content Writer
- Newspaper or Magazine Editor
- Copyeditor and Fact Checker
Contact or visit us
Stephanie Loos, Staff Assistant
Old Main, Room 102
Lincoln, NE 68504
sloos [at] nebrwesleyan.edu