- Planning: Gathering materials and information about content and pedagogy in order to complete effective strategies to achieve the intended learning.
- Accesses a variety of resources for planning including technology (Gateway 2)
- Plans to teach to a National, State Standard, or district objective (Gateway 1)
- Consider individual abilities, needs, interests, and culture in making adaptations to plans (Gateway 2)
- Apply the knowledge of developmentally appropriate practices (Gateway 2)
- Use best practices for the content area(s) (Gateway 2)
- Teaching: Instructing students by guiding them to achieve specific, appropriate learning goals.
- Demonstrate collaborative planning and teaching (Gateway 2)
- Clarify directions and expectations (Gateway 1)
- Apply a variety of techniques to guide the learning of basic academic skills and content processes (Gateway 3)
- Use appropriate strategies with diverse students to implement inclusive practices (Gateway 1)
- Display sensitivity to a class with diverse ethnicity (Gateway 2)
- Demonstrate the ability to adjust teaching within the lesson (Gateway 2)
- Effectively integrate technology (Gateway 3)
- Effectively integrate multicultural information (Gateway 2)
- Display positive, effective classroom management providing for individual behavior support (Gateway 2)
- Vary instructional strategies to encourage students’ development of critical thinking, problem solving, and performance skills. (Gateway 2)
- Assessing: Continuous gathering of information about student progress.
- Match assessment to objectives and instruction (Gateway 2)
- Use assessment to improve instruction (Gateway 3)
- Implement a variety of formal and informal assessments (Gateway 3)
- Use a variety of ways to give feedback to students so they may maximize learning (Gateway 2)
- Assess appropriate to State and National Standards (Gateway 3)
- Implement assessment with appropriate supports for student equity (Gateway 3)
- Humanizing: Understanding what the human experience is and applying the relationships.
- Display dispositions appropriate to effective teaching (Gateway 1)
- Assist students in becoming independent learners (Gateway 2)
- Assist students in clarifying attitudes and values and serve as a positive role model (Gateway 3)
- Communicate appropriately with students, parents, and colleagues (Gateway 3)
- Professionalism: Displaying the skills appropriate to education professionals.
- Model the skills of a reflective practitioner (Gateway 1)
- Actively seek out opportunities for professional growth (Gateway 3)
- Conduct self according to accepted State and professional standards and ethics (Gateway 1)
- Collaborate effectively with all stakeholders in a student’s education (Gateway 3)
- Subject Matter: Knowing the content necessary to encourage and support student learning.
- Demonstrate proficiency in basic academic skills (Gateway 1)
- Understand how children learn and develop and provide support for individual needs (Gateway 1)
- Use current best practice (Gateway 2)
- Demonstrate competency in knowledge and pedagogy of the content area(s) (Gateway 2)