Financial Aid Application

Parent(s’) and student’s 2017 Federal Tax Return are needed to complete the Financial Aid Application. This form is only for prospective students starting the fall of 2019.

Student information
Household information

List the people in your parent(s’) household; include:

  • yourself and your parent(s) with whom you live (including stepparent), and
  • your parents’ other children, even if they don’t live with your parent(s), when:
    • your parent(s) will provide more than half of his/her/their support during the 2019-20 academic year, or
    • the child(ren) are in college during the 2019-20 academic year and would be required to provide parental information when applying for federal student aid.

Enter the names of all household members. Also, enter the name(s) of the college(s) that siblings or other household members will attend half- or full-time during the 2019-20 academic year (excluding parents).

Household members
Household member 1
Estimated financial information for parent(s) and student

Complete both parent(s’) and student’s information. The tax form lines referenced below are supplied to assist you in finding the values on your 2017 income tax return. If you have questions, please contact the Financial Aid Office at 402.465.2167 or financialaid [at] To ensure accuracy, a copy of your federal tax return may be requested by the Financial Aid office.

To verify and confirm your eligibility for federal and Nebraska Wesleyan University need-based financial aid, you must complete and submit a 2019-20 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) after October 1, 2018 by visiting Our FASFA school code is 002555.

Indicate type of income tax return to be filed (1040, 1040A/EZ, will not file).

2017 Adjusted gross income (IRS form 1040-line 37; 1040A-line 21; or 1040EZ-line 4).

2017 U.S. income tax (IRS form 1040-line 56; 1040A-line 37; or 1040EZ-line 10).

2017 Student income earned from work (IRS form 1040-lines 7+12+18+ box 14 of IRS schedule K-1 (form 1065); 1040A-line 7; or 1040EZ-line 1).

2017 Father/stepfather income earned from work (Share of IRS form 1040-lines 7+12+18+ box 14 of IRS schedule K-1 (form 1065); 1040A-line 7; or 1040EZ-line 1).

2017 Mother/stepmother income earned from work (Share of IRS form 1040-lines 7+12+18+ box 14 of IRS schedule K-1 (form 1065); 1040A-line 7; or 1040EZ-line 1).

Education credits (Hope and Lifetime Learning tax credits) from IRS form 1040-line 50 or 1040A-line 33.

Child support paid because of divorce or separation or as a result of a legal requirement. Don’t include support for children in your (or your parent’s) household.

Combat pay or special combat pay. Only enter the amount that was taxable and included in the adjusted gross income. Do not enter untaxed combat pay reported on the W-2 (Box 12, Code Q).

Payments to tax-deferred pension and savings plans (paid directly or withheld from earnings), including, but not limited to, amounts reported on the W-2 forms in boxes 12a through 12d, codes D, E, F, G, H, and S.

IRA deductions and payments to self-employed SEP, SIMPLE, Keogh and other qualified plans from IRS form 1040-line 28 + line 32 or 1040A-line 17.

Child support received for all children. Don’t include foster care or adoption payments.

Tax Exempt interest income from IRS form 1040-line 8b or 1040A-line 8b.

Untaxed portions of IRA distributions from IRS form 1040-lines (15a minus 15b) or 1040A-lines (11a minus 11b). Exclude rollovers. If negative, enter a zero here.

Untaxed portions of pensions from IRS form 1040-lines (16a minus 16b) or 1040A-lines (12a minus 12b). Exclude rollovers. If negative, enter a zero here.

Housing, food and other living allowances paid to members of the military, clergy and others (including cash payments and cash value of benefits).

Veterans noneducation benefits such as Disability, Death Pension, or Dependency and Indemnity Compensation (DIC) and/or VA Educational Work-Study allowances.

Other untaxed income not reported, such as workers’ compensation, disability, etc. Don’t include student aid, earned income credit, additional child tax credit, welfare payments, untaxed Social Security benefits, Supplemental Security Income, Workforce Investment Act educational benefits, combat pay, benefits from flexible spending arrangements (e.g., cafeteria plans), foreign income exclusion or credit for federal tax on special fuels.

Money received, or paid on your behalf (e.g., bills), not reported elsewhere on this form. (Student should exclude money received from parents).

Estimated asset information

Total current balance of cash, savings and checking accounts.

Net worth of your investments, including real estate (do not include your home).

Net worth means current value minus debt.
Investments include real estate (do not include the family home), trust funds, UGMA and UTMA accounts, money market funds, mutual funds, certificates of deposit, stocks, stock options, bonds, other securities, Coverdell savings accounts, 529 college savings plans, the refund value of 529 prepaid tuition plans, installment and land sale contracts (including mortgages held), commodities, etc. Investment value means the current balance or market value of these investments as of today. Investment debt means only those debts that are related to the investments. Do not include the value of life insurance, retirement plans (401[k] plans, pension funds, annuities, noneducational IRAs, Keogh plans, etc.) or cash, savings and checking accounts already reported above. Business and/or investment farm value includes the market value of land, buildings, machinery, equipment, inventory, etc. Business and/or investment farm debt means only those debts for which the business or investment farm was used as collateral.

Net worth of your current businesses and/or investment farms

Do not include the value of a family farm that your parents live on and operate. Do not include the value of a small business if your family owns and controls more than 50 percent of the business and the business has 100 or fewer full-time or full-time equivalent employees. For small business value, your family includes (1) persons directly related to you, such as a parent, sister or cousin, or (2) persons who are or were related to you by marriage, such as a spouse, stepparent or sister-in-law.

By clicking “submit,” you certify that the information in this application is accurately and honestly presented.

Contact or visit us

Nebraska Wesleyan University
Financial Aid Office, Smith-Curtis 207
5000 Saint Paul Avenue
Lincoln NE 68504
(402) 465-2167 Fax (402) 465-2194
financialaid [at]
Send Personal Identifiable Information via NWU Secure File Exchange