Dr. David Whitt
MF 8:30-10:30 & 1-3
B.S. Wayne State College 1989
M.A. University of Nebraska-Lincoln 1991
Ph.D. University of Nebraska-Lincoln 2002
Knowledge is good.
- Emil Faber
Comm 1250 - Introduction to Communication Studies
Comm 2600 - Mass Media
Comm 3200 - Persuasion
Comm 4100 - Communication in the Professions
IDS 1010 - Songs of Ascent: The Music and Meaning of U2
Mass Media 10-11:15
Communication in the Professions 2-3:40
Books on Mythology:
- Whitt, D. & Perlich, J. (2014). Myth in the Modern World: Essays on Intersections with Ideology and Culture. Jefferson, NC: McFarland Publishing.
- Perlich, J. & Whitt, D. (2010). Millennial Mythmaking: Essays on the Power of Science Fiction and
Fantasy Literature, Films, and Games. Jefferson, NC: McFarland Publishing.
- Whitt, D. & Perlich, J. (2008). Sith, Slayers, Stargates and Cyborgs: Modern Mythology in the New
Millennium. New York: Peter Lang Publishing.
- Whitt, D. (2013). "Whatever you do, don't blink!": Gothic Horror and the Weeping Angels Trilogy." In
G.Leitch (Ed.). Doctor Who in Time and Space: Essays on Themes, Characters, History and Fandom,
1963-2012. Jefferson, NC: McFarland Publishing.
- Whitt, D. (2013). "I can get college credit for reading Batman? That's a joke right?": Confessions of a
Fanboy Professor Teaching Comic Books. In C.K. Syma & Rr. Weiner (Eds.). Graphic Novels and
Comics in the Classroom: Essays on the Educational Power of Sequential Art. Jefferson, NC:
- Charney, C. & Whitt, D. (September, 2014). "Music as a medium to engage students." The Scholarly Teacher.
Research Interests: Film, TV, Music & Popular Culture
2015 TEDx Lincoln Speaker "Happiness is Serious Business"
2014 Wayne State College School of Arts & Humanities Outstanding Alumnus Award
2014 NWU Faculty Scholarship Presentation Award
2012 Top Paper Presentation Award Computer Assisted Language Learning (CALL) Conference,
Taichung, Taiwan. From Guthrie to Dylan to Springsteen: Using Music Videos on YouTube to
Teach ESL Students American History and Culture.