Transfer Student FAQ

Table of Contents:

How do I know if I’m a Transfer Student?
If you are a high school graduate or have earned a General Education Degree (GED) and then attended a college or university you are considered a transfer student.

I previously applied to Nebraska Wesleyan as a high school student and was accepted. Do I need to reapply as a transfer student?
Yes. Complete our free online application.

Am I considered a transfer student if I previously attended Nebraska Wesleyan and would like to re-enroll?
Former, degree seeking Nebraska Wesleyan students are not considered transfer students. If you are interested in re-enrolling at NWU, you must contact the Registrar’s Office at 402.465.2243.

How many credit hours can I transfer into Nebraska Wesleyan?
The maximum amount of hours you can transfer in from a community college is 64 semester hours. We will accept all credits from an accredited four-year school with a C- or above.

How does Nebraska Wesleyan determine what courses will transfer?
Once you are accepted, our Registrar will run a transfer analysis of all previously attended colleges to see how many credits will transfer into the Nebraska Wesleyan curriculum.

Also see lists of Baccalaureate Degree Transfer Equivalencies from Nebraska community colleges.

Will my cumulative GPA transfer with me?
Your cumulative GPA is used for the purpose of admission but it does not transfer. Nebraska Wesleyan will begin recording your GPA with your first NWU class.

When should I apply for admission?
Transfer admission is done on a rolling basis. This means that once your file is complete and we have received all required materials, your file will be reviewed and you will be notified. Applying for admission is the best way for you to get the admissions process started.

What do I need to send once I apply?
In order for us to process your application, you must submit transcripts from all colleges/universities you’ve ever attended and any college credit courses while attending high school. If you are transferring with fewer than 30 credit hours, it is required that you submit your high school transcripts/GED and ACT/SAT scores. You are encouraged to submit the following information if you are transferring over 30 credit hours: ACT score of 20 or above, SAT score of 950 or above, and final high school transcript showing a GPA of 3.0 or above.

How long will it take me to graduate?
That depends on how many hours will transfer from your previous institutions, which you will see once the transfer analysis is completed by the Registrar’s Office. It is required for all students that your last 30 credit hours are taken at Nebraska Wesleyan.

Is there financial aid available for transfer students?
Yes, Nebraska Wesleyan’s financial aid program is designed to award talented students for their hard work. To apply for need-based aid, complete the FAFSA online at Be sure to include Nebraska Wesleyan’s school code: 002555. If you are currently filing a FAFSA, you can log into your existing FAFSA and just add Nebraska Wesleyan to it.

Are academic scholarships available to transfer students?
Yes, Nebraska Wesleyan’s scholarship and grant program is designed to award talented students for their hard work. A cumulative GPA is considered when awarding merit based scholarship and grant money.

How long will the application process take?
Admissions is done on a rolling basis so the sooner you get required materials sent to us, the sooner we can notify you on acceptance and get you moving through the process.

Do I have to live on campus?
See our residency policy page.

Who do I contact with questions about transferring?
If you have questions, please contact Melanie Armstrong at 402.465.2100 or e-mail marmstro [at]