Room and Board Policies and Procedures

The Nebraska Wesleyan University Residential Education program provides an environment that supports the institution’s mission. More than residential facilities, the residential environment cultivates the academic and social achievement as well as growth of all residents. Living on campus is a privilege and residents who do not make academic progress by not attending class or turning in assignments on time may be asked to leave their living unit. All students living on campus have certain rights and responsibilities. Responsibility is not simply knowing and obeying written rules and regulations, it also means contributing to a positive experience for the group as a whole, respecting the rights of others and differing points of view, personal integrity, refraining from causing harm to another person or to property, and living a purposeful and productive life in the community.

Table of Contents:

Room and Board Contracts

Policy: All students must sign a room and board contract and provide a $100 deposit to secure their space in a facility. Only students who are registered full-time for classes (for the upcoming term) may sign a housing contract. The contract is a legal document and should be read carefully in its entirety before signing.

Breaking Room and Board Contracts
Students who break their room and board contract for reasons including, but not limited to, moving home, transfer to another institution, or withdrawal from Nebraska Wesleyan University will be assessed a $250 fee for breaking the contract, $400 for breaking 12-month contracts in Townhouses, Theme Houses and On-Campus Apartments.

  • New students will not be assessed this penalty if they break their contract prior to the Monday of the second week of the first semester of the contract term.
  • Returning students, who sign contracts during spring selection and lottery, apply, and are granted an exception to the residency policy must notify the Residential Education Office within a week of receiving an exception or forfeit their housing deposit.
  • All other returning students have until June 1 for a two-semester contract and new and returning students must notify the Residential Education Office prior to January 1 for spring semester contracts to avoid the $250 penalty.
    • Residents selecting a 12-month contract for the Townhouses, Theme Houses and on-campus Apartments must notify Residential Education Office by March 1, to avoid the $400 penalty.

Penalty Waivers
The following exceptions will waive the penalty:

  • documented medical necessity/withdrawal,
  • graduation,
  • marriage,
  • academic requirements such as student teaching or study abroad,
  • drop to part-time status,
  • academic suspension, or
  • institutional termination of housing contract for disciplinary reasons.


Room/Suite and Unit Mates

The majority of students living in residential facilities at Nebraska Wesleyan University have a room/suite or unit mates.

First Year Students
Most first year students will be required to get acquainted with, learn about, and adjust to living with another person.

  • Over the summer, first year students are encouraged to contact their roommate and decide who is responsible for bringing what items.
  • All roommates will need to talk a great deal to work out the initial rooming together issues.

Upper-Class Students
Upper-class students need to consider more issues depending on facility choice during the spring sign up.

  • Communication and coordination is the key to living in an upper class residential unit.
  • Before they leave for the summer, members of each unit should get together to discuss how they plan to live as a group and who will bring what to make their units a home.


Roommate Change Policy

Realistic Expectations
Successful roommate pairings do not always involve students who consider their roommate a best friend, but describe a relationship and room/unit environment that is restful, friendly, and respectful.

Living with another person takes time and work and the residential education staff is committed to helping room/unit mates learn skills that will enable them to have good living experiences.

Procedures before Change is Considered
If students have not addressed the issues directly with their roommate(s), no moves or roommate changes will be granted.

The following steps are required in almost all situations before a room change is considered.

  1. Initiate a discussion with the roommate(s) to determine possible compromises.
  2. Re-examine/revise the room/unit roommate standards agreement.
    • If roommate issues are not resolved, talk to your Peer Assistant about a mediation meeting to resolve any issues of tension or conflict.
    • If roommate issues are still not resolved, the residents should contact the Residential Education Coordinator about other methods of resolving the conflict.
  3. If after all these measures have been tried and a resident still finds his/her living arrangements unacceptable, a resident may request a room change.
    • Until the fourth week of the academic semester, no requests will be granted for roommate changes
    • An exception can be made by the Residential Education Coordinator.

Staff Responsibilities

  • The Residential Education Coordinator and peer assistants stay neutral in roommate conflicts and try their best to work with students’ living situations.
  • Any moves or roommate changes are at the discretion of the Residential Education Coordinator.
  • The Administrative Assistant to Residential Education will keep waiting lists for all units and will contact students as space becomes available.

Deciding Who Will Change Rooms
If a room change is necessary:

  • The resident making the complaint will move out.
  • If both students want to stay in the room, the residents can draw straws, pick a number, or use the deposit date to determine who will move.

Completing Room and Hall Change Request Form
The Residential Education Coordinator will not allow any student to move without a completed Room and Hall Change Request form. This includes:

  • Filling out the student information

Obtaining the signatures of the original roommate, the present peer assistant, and the present Residential Education Coordinator.


Break/Vacation Housing

Most residence halls close over Thanksgiving, winter, spring, and summer breaks.

Housing Available During Breaks

  • Throughout the academic year, Centennial Hall remains open. Those students who anticipate a need for continuous housing should request an assignment in Centennial Hall.
  • Winter Break: All residential facilities will be closed with the exception of Theme Houses, Apartments, Townhouse Village, and Centennial Hall. Students needing to stay on-campus over these breaks will pay a daily fee and will be asked to move to a temporary location within the open halls.

Townhouse Village, Theme Houses & On-Campus Apartments

  • Residents signing an academic year contract may stay over all breaks with the exception of summer.
  • Students with 12-month contracts may occupy their unit throughout the year unless graduating in May, at which time the contract ceases.
  • Those students choosing to stay in their units through the summer will incur an extra charge.

Residential Consolidation

Consolidation is a process for maximizing efficient utilization of residential space.

  • The right to consolidate is in the room and board contract.
  • Roommates will be retained for new students, as space in residence halls become empty.
  • Consolidation will occur several times throughout the year, starting with current student room selection and the lottery process in the spring.
  • Students will be notified by the Residential Education Office staff.

For students entering in the fall, consolidation may be used at the end of the fall semester.

Beginning May 1 and continuing throughout the summer, if there are available rooms or apartments not being used to maximum capacity, residents may be moved to similar rooms or units—preferably in the same building.


Temporary Room Assignments

Spaces in permanent rooms become available as late cancellations and withdrawals occur during the first week of classes. So, students assigned to a particular facility may be placed in temporary housing when they first arrive.

  • Our goal is to place any student in a temporary assignment into permanent room assignment by the end of the first week of classes.
  • Residential Education Coordinators will keep students informed.


Room/Unit Check-in and Check-out Procedures

When a resident moves into a room, suite or unit he/she will fill out a Room Condition Report form (RCR). It is the student’s responsibility to record any pre-existing damage. Any damage beyond what was recorded at check in on the RCR will be assessed as damage and charged back to residents at or after checkout. At check-in, students are given a room key and outside door fob. When any student moves out of a room, suite or unit for any reason, a formal checkout with the Residential Education staff must occur to avoid improper checkout penalties. This checkout should be scheduled 24 hours in advance. At checkout time, the resident and a staff member will go over the RCR and record any damages. Residents of Townhouse Village, the theme house and apartments will have the option of using an “Express Check-Out” envelope, in which they waive their right to be present at the time of room checkout as well as their right to appeal. In both cases, a Residential Education Coordinator (REC) will assess damages. Any resident failing to check out properly will be assessed an improper check out fee of $35 as well as costs for key and fob replacement, lock change and new unit keys. Express Check-Out envelopes will only be accepted from 7:00am-8:00pm unless previous arrangements have been made with the Residential Education Office.