Contact or visit us

Nebraska Wesleyan University
Residential Education Office
Centennial First Floor
5000 Saint Paul Avenue
Lincoln NE 68504
(402) 465-2161 Fax (402) 465-2537
lrs [at] (lrs[at]NebrWesleyan[dot]edu)

Room and Board Policies and Procedures

The Nebraska Wesleyan Residential Education program provides an environment that supports the institution’s mission. More than residential facilities, the residential environment cultivates the academic and social achievement as well as the growth of all residents.

All students living on campus have certain rights and responsibilities. Responsibility is not simply knowing and obeying written rules and regulations, it also means contributing to a positive experience for the group respecting the rights of others and differing points of view, personal integrity, refraining from causing harm to another person or to property, and living a purposeful and productive life in the community.

Residents must be registered as full-time (12 credits) students to live in on-campus residential facilities. If a student’s registration changes to part-time status at any point during the year, the student is required to gain approval through the Assistant Dean for Student Success and Residential Education to remain in campus housing.

Living on campus is a privilege and residents who are not meeting their basic academic responsibilities (regular class attendance, consistent completion of assignments) or those who are not responsive to outreach or support meetings will be required to meet with the Assistant Dean for Student Success and Residential Education, or their designee, to make an academic improvement plan at the end of the first semester. Failure to do so may result in the cancellation of a student’s housing contract.

In general, all halls close over Thanksgiving, winter, spring and summer breaks. Students that need housing during this time will need to fill out a break housing contract and pay an additional, daily fee if not required to stay by an NWU activity. Students should also expect to move over to Centennial Hall during these breaks. Townhouse Village, theme house and on-campus apartment residents, who sign an academic year contract, may stay over all breaks with the exception of summer, while those with 12-month contracts may occupy their unit throughout the year unless graduating in May, at which time the contract ceases.

Staying in break housing is a privilege and not a right. Students who break the guest policy by letting in other students who have not completed a break housing contract are found in violation of any housing policies during the break period, or return to housing without an approved contract may be subject to financial penalties and the conduct process.

All residents must sign a room and board contract. Only students who are registered full-time for classes/12 credits (for the upcoming term) may sign a housing contract. The contract is a legal document and should be read carefully in its entirety before signing.

Students who break their room and board contract for reasons including, but not limited to: moving home, transferring to another institution, or withdrawing from Nebraska Wesleyan University will be assessed a $500 fee for breaking the contract. New students will not be assessed this penalty if they break their contract prior to the Monday of the second week of the first semester of the contract term. Returning students who sign contracts during spring housing selection and then are granted an exemption to the residency policy must notify the Residential Education Office within a week of receiving an exemption or forfeit their housing deposit. All other returning students have until the last day of the academic year by 5:00pm for a two-semester contract. Residents selecting a 12-month contract for the townhouses, theme houses and on-campus apartments must notify the Residential Education office by March 1, to avoid the $250 penalty. Residents must maintain a full-time student status to remain in the residence halls.

Nebraska Wesleyan University offers gender-open housing, defined as a housing option in which two or more students mutually agree to share a multiple-occupancy bedroom, suite, apartment or townhouse regardless of the students’ sex or gender. Gender-open housing allows students increased choice in selecting roommates based on whom they feel the most comfortable and safe with, regardless of gender, to support and respect their various living needs. Further, a gender-open housing policy would support the university’s non-discrimination policy with respect to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression.

Residential Education will use a student’s self-defined gender when making housing placements. We encourage students to maintain an open dialogue with their families so that they can be supportive of their student’s housing decisions. Students over the age of 19 are legally able to make decisions about their housing contracts. Students under 19 should discuss housing plans with their families, as they must provide parental consent. Residential Education will not communicate directly with a student’s family about their housing placement without the consent of the student, regardless of age.

Students who are active members in good standing have the option of living in a sorority or fraternity chapter house after two full semesters in a residence hall with the permission of each chapter president. The Greek system is self-governed, yet professional staff advisor(s), chapter advisors and live-in chapter directors/parents assist students and individual chapters with the challenges of living and learning in Greek chapter houses. Greek houses meeting appropriate standards are considered approved campus housing.

Peer Assistants (PAs) are instrumental in helping residents to create a community that is focused on student success. PAs are primarily responsible for creating a personally supportive, but challenging, connected community so that all residents feel welcomed. They develop programs with residents, create issue-oriented bulletin boards, and facilitate meetings to discuss community standards, provide resources, and serve as peer helpers.

A year-round training program is provided to prepare Peer Assistants for their service and leadership experience. Each receives specific training in CPR and general first aid, conflict management, program development, academic and peer helping skills, and general crisis management. Applications for PAs are available in January for the following academic year. The best resources to answer any questions about the job and application process are current Peer Assistants and/or a Residential Education staff member.

As a residential campus, it is the residency policy of Nebraska Wesleyan University that undergraduate students reside in approved on-campus living units for three years or six semesters (not including summer terms). All first-year students must live in university-administered residential facilities. Students in their third through sixth semesters who are members of sororities or fraternities may reside in Greek chapter houses meeting criteria for approved residential facilities.

Students may apply for an exemption to this policy if they live with parents/guardians (as defined by Section 30-220917 of the Nebraska Probate Code) within 30 miles of the Nebraska Wesleyan campus; have reached their 21st birthday prior to the first day of class of the academic year; live with a spouse; are enrolled for fewer than 12 credit hours per semester as a part-time student; have an ADA-approved health issue that cannot be reasonably accommodated on-campus, or other extreme or emergency conditions.

If a student’s living arrangements are in violation of the residency policy, the student will be in violation of the Code of Student Conduct and will be subject to disciplinary action. Violation of this policy does not excuse the financial obligation to the University.

Consolidation will occur throughout the year starting with current student room selection and the lottery process in the spring. Beginning May 1 and continuing throughout the summer, if there are available rooms or apartments not being used to maximum capacity the Residential Education Office reserves the right to move remaining residents to similar rooms or units, preferably in the same building, to ensure maximum occupancy and efficiency in all units. When consolidation is necessary students will be notified with as much notice as possible. Students may not refuse a roommate placement when living in a space with an open bed.

Students are not under any circumstance to occupy an entire double residence hall or suite room, or a vacant room in an apartment or townhouse unless granted permission, in writing, from the Residential Education Coordinator of that area. Students that are found to have occupied a space unassigned to them will be charged a prorated double occupancy rate specified for that type of space. A cleaning fee may also be charged to restore the space back to move-in-ready condition.

For entering students, consolidation may be used at the end of the fall semester. This consolidation process is used to ensure new students retain roommates as spaces in residence halls become empty. Residents are notified of the process. The right to consolidate is in the room and board contract.

The majority of students living in residential facilities at Nebraska Wesleyan University have a room/suite or unit mate. Incoming first-year and transfer students are assigned roommates by the Residential Education Office. Following the first year, residents will select their own roommates. Most first-year students will be getting acquainted with, learning about, and adjusting to living with another person. First-year students are encouraged to contact their roommate over the summer and decide who is responsible for bringing what items. All roommates will need to talk a great deal to work out the initial rooming together issues. Returning students need to consider more issues depending on facility choice during the spring sign up. Communication and coordination are key to living in a returning student residential unit so we suggest members of each unit get together before they leave for the summer to discuss how they plan to live as a group and who will bring what to make their units a home. All roommates are required to complete a “Roommate Success Plan” during the first week of the academic year or when any roommate changes occur. A copy of this agreement must be turned in to the floor’s Peer Assistant by the assigned deadline.

No moves or roommate changes will be granted if concerned students have not addressed the issues directly with their roommate(s). Successful roommate pairings do not always involve students who consider their roommate a best friend, but describe a relationship and room/unit environment that is restful, friendly, and respectful. Living with another person takes time and work and the Residential Education Staff is committed to helping room/unit mates learn skills that will enable them to have good living experiences. The following steps are required in almost all situations before a room change is considered:

  1. An initial discussion with the roommate(s) to determine possible compromises
  2. A re-examination/revision of the room/unit roommate standards agreement
    • If roommate issues are not resolved, talk to your Peer Assistant about a mediation meeting to resolve any issues of tension or conflict.
    • If roommate issues are still not resolved, the residents should contact the Residential Education Coordinator about other methods of resolving the conflict.
  3. After all these measures have been tried and a resident still finds his/her living arrangements unacceptable, a resident may request a room change.
    • No requests are granted for roommate changes until the second week of the academic semester (referred to as the “room freeze”) unless deemed necessary by the Residential Education Coordinator (REC) to give time for occupancy checks, etc. to occur.

If the REC finds a room change necessary, the resident making the complaint will be the one to move out. In a case where both students want to stay in the room, the residents can draw straws, pick a number, or use the deposit date to determine who will move. If no resolution can be reached, both students may be asked to move.

Before moving, the resident leaving the original room must complete a “Room and Hall Change Request” form. This includes filling out the student information, obtaining the signatures of the original roommate, the present Peer Assistant, and the present REC. The student will not be allowed to move without this completed form. The student who moves will have 24 hours to fully complete the process unless other arrangements are made with the coordinating REC. Failure to fully complete this process will result in the student being assessed an improper checkout daily fee.

The Residential Education staff stays neutral in roommate conflicts and tries their best to work with students’ living situations. Any moves or roommate changes are at the discretion of the REC of that area. The Residential Education Office will keep waiting lists for all units and will contact students as space becomes available.

When a resident moves into a room, suite or unit he/she will fill out a Room Condition Report form (RCR). It is the student’s responsibility to record any pre-existing damage. Any damage beyond what was recorded at check in on the RCR will be assessed as damage and charged back to residents at or after checkout. At check-in, students are given a room key and an outside door fob. When any student moves out of a room, suite or unit for any reason, a formal checkout with the Residential Education staff must occur to avoid improper checkout penalties. This checkout should be scheduled 24 hours in advance. At check-out time, the resident and a staff member will go over the RCR and record any damages. Residents of Townhouse Village, the theme house and apartments will have the option of using an “Express Check-Out” envelope, in which they waive their right to be present at the time of room checkout as well as their right to appeal. In both cases, a Residential Education Coordinator (REC) will assess damages. Any resident failing to check out properly will be assessed an improper check-out fee of $35 as well as costs for key and fob replacement, lock change and new unit keys. Express Check-Out envelopes can be turned in at the Residential Education Office during normal, business hours, or, placed in the return box located within the front entryway of the Heim/White Suites.

Students assigned to a particular facility may be placed in temporary housing when they first arrive. Spaces in permanent rooms become available as late cancellations and withdrawals occur during the first week of classes. Temporarily assigned students will be the first individuals able to move. Our goal is to place any student in a temporary assignment into permanent room assignments by the end of the first week of classes.


Please refer to the “Nebraska Wesleyan University Alcohol and Drugs Policy”.

All facilities: The misuse or illegal use of electrical equipment or appliances creates serious hazards in residential facilities. Only safe, low-wattage appliances and electronic equipment are permitted in individual rooms. Approved, low-wattage appliances include the following: hairdryers, curling irons, non-halogen desk lamps, radios, televisions, stereos, electric blankets, computers, heating pads, fans, thermostatically controlled coffee makers and hot pots. All approved appliances must be UL-approved and must be used and kept in accordance with specific regulations designed to meet fire safety standards. Space heaters and window air-conditioners are not permitted under any conditions. Scentsy (wax warmers with a lightbulb) and UL certified, modern lava lamps are allowed only if they are used while the resident is present. If these appliances are found to be in use with no resident present, they will be submitted to conduct proceedings and will be removed. Please review the Extension Cords/Electrical Fixtures section for the extension cord policy.

If you bring appliances or expensive electronic equipment you are strongly encouraged to keep a log of all serial numbers in a separate location.

Centennial, Johnson/Pioneer, Burt and Plainsman: Items that are not allowed include the following: toasters, toaster ovens, microwave ovens, electric coil cook tops, griddles/ open skillets, blenders, pizza cookers or appliances like George Foreman grills. In general, any heat-producing appliances for food preparation in resident rooms or other areas not designated for that purpose is prohibited outside of the allowed hot pots & popcorn poppers. MicroChill units may be rented directly from the approved NWU vendor. These units are the only microwaves allowed in the residence hall rooms. Students may bring compact refrigerators but they can be no more than five cubic feet and there can only be one refrigerator per room.

Heim/White Suite Complex: Each unit is supplied with a refrigerator/freezer, as well as a countertop microwave. Residents are not allowed to bring any additional refrigerators or microwaves. Additional items that are not allowed include the following: toasters, toaster ovens, microwave ovens, electric coil cooktops, griddles/ open skillets, blenders, pizza cookers or appliances similar to George Foreman grills. In general, any heat-producing appliances for food preparation in resident rooms or other areas not designated for that purpose is prohibited outside of the allowed hot pots & popcorn poppers.

Townhouse/Apartments/Theme Houses: Each apartment is supplied with a full-size, fully functional kitchen. Any resident living in the Townhouses and Theme Houses is prohibited from bringing extra microwaves, refrigerator/freezers or electric coil cooktops.

If residents have any questions about which appliances are allowed, it is recommended that they first visit with a member of the Residential Education staff before bringing the appliance into the building.

Residents who bring bikes are encouraged to register them with the Lincoln Police Department. Use of a casehardened chain and lock to secure bikes to outside racks is suggested. Bicycle racks are provided near each residence hall and by most academic buildings. Bicycles cannot be attached to any other structure (this includes trees) other than the provided racks. Bikes are not permitted in residential stairwells, hallways, lounges or corridors. Residents of the townhouses, apartments, and the suites may keep their bikes in their units if all residents agree and they do not block doors or windows or access paths. Bikes cannot be stored inside traditional-style residence hall rooms. Bikes that are improperly stored may be removed.

All candles are strictly prohibited in all residential facilities. Additional sources of ignition that are prohibited include but are not limited to incense, lanterns, charcoal, lighter fluid, Bunsen-type burners and propane. In addition, candle warmers (wax warmers that do not use a lightbulb) are prohibited if the resident is present at all times that the warmer is in use.

Can and bottle collections are not allowed due to health and safety standards.

In accordance with the City of Lincoln Municipal Code 8.32.040, clean and dry corrugated cardboard is not accepted in the landfill/regular trash receptacles. All clean and dry cardboard must be broken down and recycled in the large, green, recycling receptacles located outside of the Heim/White Suites, Centennial & Plainsman Halls. Soiled corrugated cardboard (such as pizza boxes) is excluded from this city regulation but must be taken outside to the hall’s trashcans.

Plainsman, and Centennial: Residents are welcome to bring carpet as long as it is not secured with carpet tape or glue. Glue and carpet tape leave a residue, which will result in extra cost to remove. Residents will not be allowed into their room prior to check-in to lay carpet.

Heim and White Halls, Johnson/Pioneer, Apartments and Townhouses: Each suite, room, and townhouse has been carpeted from wall to wall (excluding the kitchen and the bathrooms). You may not bring carpet for any room that has carpet provided. Any type of glue or carpet tape residue that is found at the time of move out will result in an extra cost to each person in the living unit.

Damages to common area furniture, computers, recreational furniture, TVs, beverage or snack machines, walls, stairwells, bathrooms, etc. which cannot be assigned to individual residents are charged equally to every student living in the residential facility. All damages are deducted from the refundable part of the security/refurbishment deposit. Common area furniture taken to rooms/units or from the facility can result in community or individual fines for replacement.

All residential facilities at Nebraska Wesleyan University operate using Community Standards. Standards offer residents an opportunity to become more responsible, interdependent members of a community. Standards are the agreements made by the suite, unit and/or floor residents concerning how residents will relate to and treat each other. Developing standards is a process by which individuals begin forming a community through dialogue, compromise, and commitment. Standards set by a community are always evolving - they should not be thought of as a task to complete, but as a means by which community interactions occur. All first-year residential facilities have limited community standards during the fall semester.

Along with community standards, Nebraska Wesleyan University also uses roommate standards (“Roommate Success Plans”). Each group of roommates will be given the task of setting the standards for their rooms. They will be encouraged to discuss the use of each other’s personal belongings, study times, sleep times, guests, taking messages, confronting each other, and other topics. Through this process, they should develop a set of standards, which should help eliminate any major issues that could arise. Should an issue arise, the standard can be changed, or a consequence can be set.

Any student refusing the lawful request of a university official in performance of the official’s duties or who responds to said request with inappropriate remarks or language is demonstrating behavior contrary to what it means to be a member of our community and has violated a basic expectation of behavior.

Johnson/Pioneer, Plainsman, Centennial, and Heim/White Halls: The 24-hour general use computer areas in the halls are to be used only by the residents of the hall and those with assigned hall access. The campus “Computer Use Policy” applies to the residence hall computers as well.

If the printer needs a paper refill, please contact the REC of the building/complex or the Peer Assistant on-duty. For all other questions, please contact Computer Services/Instructional Technology.

Four policies are especially important in the general use computer areas:

  • No food or drink may be used near the computers.
  • Headsets are required when students are listening to music while working on a computer.
  • Computers in the residence halls are considered common area property. If a computer is damaged and the responsible party is not identified, residents of the building will share the cost of the damage using the common area damage policy.
  • Residents should show respect to the equipment and paper consumed in the labs.

If a student’s behavior does not meet community standards/expectations or is in violation of the policies outlined in the residence hall contract, this handbook, or the Code of Student Conduct, disciplinary action should be expected.

The first contact will most likely occur with the Peer Assistant during the documentation process. Documentation will result in a meeting with a Residential Education Coordinator. The meeting will generally focus on education and corrective behavioral sanctions. A resident’s conduct file follows the student from year to year while on campus. A Residential Education Coordinator (REC) may refer a student to the University Student Conduct Board depending on the type of misconduct. Corrective actions by a residential education hearing officer may include:

  1. Written documentation
  2. Required community work and/or educational sanctions
  3. Parental notification of alcohol policy violation (after the second violation)
  4. Monetary restitution for damages or expenses incurred
  5. Reassignment to another residential facility

Residential Conduct Procedures Regarding Misconduct Related to Alcohol, Other Illegal and Controlled Substances
The University reserves the right to conduct inspections in appropriate circumstances in order to enforce its policies and to confiscate any beverages, illegal drugs or controlled substances on university property in violation of the University’s Alcohol Policy. The following list describes, in more detail, violations related to other illegal drugs and controlled substances in the residential facilities.

  • It is considered a violation to possess, sell or use illegal or controlled substances in residential facilities.
  • The presence of residue or paraphernalia, including but not limited to bongs, hookahs, scales, and pipes is prohibited.
  • Prescription drugs are controlled substances and the use, sharing or selling of prescription drugs for non-medical purposes by the individual prescribed the drug is prohibited.
  • Finally, we reserve the right to consider the “existence of illegal and controlled substance odor” as a policy violation.

Conduct officers will determine the appropriate behavioral sanctions on an individual basis regarding the severity of any alcohol or drug infraction. At any time, a student or group of students may be referred to the University Conduct Board for any alcohol/drug violation.

A Residential Education Coordinator can determine individual sanctions or floor sanctions for misconduct related to the Alcohol and Drug Policy. Documentation will be kept on file for five years, after which it will be destroyed. In the meantime, the documentation will be available for use as supporting evidence if the student is involved in other policy infractions at Nebraska Wesleyan University.

Residents must meet delivery personnel at the main entrance of the residential facility to receive any type of delivery.

Exterior doors must never be propped except during specific times designated for move-in or move-out. If an exterior door is found propped, a $250 fine is assessed to the community or resident found responsible. If there continues to be a problem with propping doors in a residence hall, the fine will be the community’s responsibility. Students should never, under any circumstances, give out their key or building access fobs to anyone. Doing so puts the security of the building at risk. Students are encouraged to always lock their room or unit doors. No doors within a unit or room are to be removed for any reason, including to make the door a table. Removal of a door will result in a $50 charge to replace it in addition to the cost of any repairs.

Emergency information is posted on neon orange cardstock at every door and in other areas around the building.

For physical & mental health emergencies:

  • If the emergency is life-threatening, call 911 first
  • If the emergency is not life-threatening and the student is still talking and walking, immediately contact the PA On-Duty or the Residential Education Coordinator On-Call at (402) 601-2114.

In the event that Residential Education is asked by local law enforcement for a student’s contact information, Residential Education will provide the student’s phone number on file with NWU unless the student has requested through Self-Service that their information not be released. In the event of an emergency (such as harm to self or harm to others), Residential Education has authority through FERPA to provide student information regardless if there is a block on the student’s information or not.

If you witness a water pipe break, an electrical failure or a physical plant emergency in the halls, notify Maintenance (402) 465-2321. After hours, notify the Peer Assistant on duty or campus security at (402) 432-9238. Any emergencies that may impact the campus at large (hostile intruder, severe weather, etc.) will be communicated via the Wesleyan Alert text messaging system.

Nebraska State law prohibits the use of regular extension cords in all approved on-campus living environments. Residents may only use surge protectors or power strips to link their electronic equipment to the limited number of outlets in their rooms. Surge protectors and power strips must be grounded (3-wire), 14 gauge or larger and UL listed. All surge protectors must be maintained, exposed in plain view. Cords may not be run under rugs or closet doors, nor secured to building surfaces or furniture. Surge protectors may not be plugged into an existing power strip (piggybacking), nor shall more than one (1) fused multi-outlet power strip be plugged into a building wall outlet. Surge protectors or power strips without built-in fuses are not permitted.

Electrical devices that overload electrical receptacles (more than three appliances per outlet or multiple plug adapters or power strips with more than two cords attached) are not permitted.

Each residential facility is required to have fire drills each semester in order to prepare and educate residents about fire safety issues in community living situations. Immediately upon moving into a residence hall, every student should become familiar with fire exit routes and the locations of fire extinguishers. Detailed instructions and procedures to be followed in case of fire and for fire drills are posted in every room. When a fire alarm sounds, all persons must immediately evacuate the building, exiting by the most direct safe route. Occupants must evacuate the building to points sufficient to ensure their personal safety. All residents must report to their designated evacuation points. All occupants must evacuate in a timely manner. Disciplinary action may be taken in cases of failure to evacuate.

Residential Education staff will periodically check smoke detectors in all rooms. Drills and smoke detector checks will not always be announced. Failure to evacuate the building during a fire and/ or drill will result in a $250 fine as well as the possibility of additional sanctions as outlined in the Code of Student Conduct. During break periods, the Residential Education Staff will check rooms for safety before closing the buildings.

Disciplinary action will be taken against anyone who falsely, intentionally, or negligently tampers with or activates fire safety equipment. Fire safety equipment includes smoke/heat detectors, sprinkler heads, fire extinguishers, pull stations, alarm panels, and exterior doors. Tampering with a smoke detector or other fire safety equipment can result in a $250 fine. All on-campus residential units are equipped with fire sprinklers. Tampering with any facet of the sprinkler system, including hanging items on the sprinkler head or pipes will result in a $250 fine: additional restitution may be incurred for damage or loss due to a student’s intentional or negligent actions. Health and safety walk-throughs by Residential Education staff occur each break closing in all campus-owned residential housing.

Residence Halls and Heim/White Halls: Custodial services are provided for all bathroom facilities, corridors, and floor lounges, as well as any other public places in the building. Students are required to maintain a clean, safe and healthy living environment in their own rooms/suites. Each residence hall will have the following facilities for student use:

  • 24-hour quiet study space - these areas are designated by the residents in the building.
  • Community TV/lounge and activity space - all halls have at least one public TV area and recreational spaces.
  • Kitchen facilities - each facility has a kitchen for limited cooking (baking cookies, heating up a pizza, getting ice from the ice machine)
  • Laundry rooms - each hall has washers and dryers supplied by an outside vending contractor. You must supply your own quarters and laundry detergent. Laundry cards are available in the Heim/White Halls for machines in those buildings. Laundry cards used in other on-campus residential facilities can be purchased in the Story Student Center on the upper level next to the Student Life Office.
  • General use computer areas - 24-hour computer facilities are located in the residence halls (see “Computer Areas”)
  • Vending - each building has access to limited vending
  • Inspections for safety and health may occur from time to time with 24-hour notice.

NOTE: Sinks, urinals and water fountains are not places to discard food, chewing tobacco, or other disposables. A $50.00 fine will be assessed for clean-up and plumbing issues related to misuse of the community kitchen, bathroom, or drinking fountains.

Plainsman and Centennial – additional information: Rooms are furnished with the basics including blinds, dresser or drawer space, loft beds, closets and a student desk and chair. Mattresses are all standard 36” wide and almost all are over 80” in length. Not every room has the same type of furniture. Some have built-in cupboards so we do not provide dressers, and others have very small student desks that may not be able to accommodate larger computer hardware. All furniture must remain in the room.

Johnson and Pioneer additional information: Johnson Hall and Pioneer Hall have loft beds, ergonomic desks, two-position chairs, temperature control air-conditioners, a shared closet space (or a free-standing wardrobe), and blinds. All rooms in Johnson Hall and Pioneer are carpeted. All furniture must remain in the room.

Heim/White Halls additional information: The shared living rooms in the suites are furnished with blinds, a small storage space, a couch, and two bar stools for the snack bar. The bedrooms are furnished with one desk, a two-position chair, a loft system bed, and two drawer stackable units per student. The beds measure 39” x 80”. The desks measure 30” deep, 42” wide, and 30” high and should accommodate most computer hardware. All furniture is movable, but must remain in the suite unit. The kitchenette has a microwave, a small set of cupboards, sink, counters and a refrigerator.

Townhouse Village additional information: The kitchen comes equipped with a full-size refrigerator, stove, microwave, dishwasher, and sink. Each unit is also furnished with a full-size stackable washer and dryer. The single bedrooms are furnished with one desk, a two-position chair, a four-drawer chest of drawers, and one bed per resident. The beds measure 39” x 80”, and the desks measure 30” deep, 42” wide, and 30” high and should accommodate just about any computer hardware. All furniture is movable but must remain in the townhouse unit. Students are required to clean their units.

Apartments and Theme Houses additional information: The kitchen is equipped with a refrigerator, stove and sink. Units are furnished with a bed, desk and desk chair per resident. Residents must furnish the common area furniture. Students are required to clean their units. All furniture is movable but must remain in the apartment or theme house.

Outdoor grilling is only allowed with university-provided and authorized gas grills that are located north of Plainsman Hall and between the White/Heim suite complex and the Townhouse Village. Personal grills are not permitted on university property. Greek chapters have individual policies related to outdoor grills. Only University-owned fire pits may be used under the direction of a student life professional staff member for special events. No student/resident may own or use a fire pit on university property.

When damages, excessive trash, theft of common area furniture, or vandalism occur in the residential living area, and the person(s) responsible cannot be identified, the following guidelines will be followed:

  • The situation will be reported to the members of the hall, floor, or building.
  • This group will have 72 hours from the time of notification to identify the responsible person(s).
  • If the person(s) responsible can be identified, they will be personally charged for the costs incurred.
  • If no person(s) can be identified, then the residents of the defined living unit (hall, floor, or building) will split the costs incurred equally.
  • No charge will be less than $5.00 per resident/per incident.

Residents are responsible for their guests at all times in any University residential facility. This includes friends, family and other NWU students. Residents must meet all guests at the front entrance of the building and escort them at all times, even as they leave a building. Failure to escort guests can endanger the safety of the residential community and is a violation of residence hall policy. Only residents assigned to a particular room or unit can live there and keep their belongings in that assigned space. The presence of someone else’s clothing, toiletries, bedding, etc., can be interpreted as cohabitation. Any person or persons found in violation of the guest and visitation policy are subject to disciplinary action and possible assessment of housing fees.

Guests: All residents may entertain their friends and/or family in their rooms or units at any time. It is expected that residents will regulate guests according to the following policies:

  • Guests are encouraged to call residents for an escort into the building.
  • The rights of the roommate/unit mate always supersede those of a guest. Permission to have a guest must be obtained from the roommate/unit mates prior to a guest’s arrival.
  • Rights to sleep and study take precedence over social uses of any room, suite or housing unit.
  • Residents are responsible and can be sanctioned for all of their guests’ activities and actions while on university property.
  • Residents must not give out their key or building access fobs to anyone. Doing this puts the security of the buildings at risk; it is a policy violation to do so.

Visitation: Residents may have overnight guests when these guidelines are followed:

  • The rights of a roommate/unit mate or townhouse always supersede those of an overnight guest. Permission to have a guest must be obtained from the roommate/unit mates prior to a guest’s arrival.
  • Guests cannot stay on a regular basis in any facility (stay overnight for two nights, leave for a night, and then stay for the next two nights, etc.) Guests may not stay more than two nights in any seven-day period.
  • The Residential Education staff reserves the right to limit overnight guests at certain times of the year or in the event of a disruption to the community due to the behaviors or presence of a particular guest.

Students must never have more than “double +1” occupancy in their living spaces at any given time when hosting others who are not assigned to live in the room. A room that has two students living in it may have a total of 5 people in the room at a time. A Suite that currently houses four students may never have more than 9 people in the room at a given time. In this case, occupancy is determined by the number of people living in the room (residency) and not by the total number of beds.

Holiday and party decorations have contributed to fire damage and loss of life in residential halls around the country. Therefore, no live holiday trees or foliage (outside of basic house plants) are permitted in rooms, lounges and/or apartments. Decorating materials should be treated with flame retardant. No strings of lights or rope lights (including LED ones) are allowed in any residential facility. For special decorations on windows and room doors see the Windows and Room Doors Policy.

All residents receive a room key and an entrance fob (electronic key) for the hall/townhouse. Not all apartment entrances have fobs. The entrance to each facility is locked 24-hours a day and only accessible by on-campus residents from 9am-6pm and building residents only from 6pm-9am. Fobs are programmed for individual resident use only and grant access to an assigned residential facility. Notification of lost keys or fobs should be made directly to the Residential Education office at (402) 465-2161 or to the REC On-Call at (402) 601-2114. The replacement cost for a lost fob is $25. Students will be charged $150 for a lost key (cost includes a new door core and new, coded keys). Both charges will be applied directly to the student’s business account.

In the event that a resident is locked out of their residence hall room/ suite unit, the student should contact a Peer Assistant in the building. If it is Saturday or Sunday between 7am and 7pm, students should call the Peer Assistant on call at (402) 440-1866. If students are unable to contact a Peer Assistant, they should contact the Residential Education Coordinator on call at (402) 601-2114. In all cases, the student will be charged a standard fee of $1 from 8 am to 5 pm during normal business hours, and $5 from 5pm to 8 am, weekends and holidays.

If a resident is locked out of their apartment, the student should call the Residential Education Office at (402) 465-2161 Monday-Friday 8am-5pm or the on-call professional staff member at (402) 601-2114. The same charges above apply to apartment residents.

All handmade or wooden lofts and waterbeds are strictly prohibited in all campus-owned facilities.

Plainsman, Apartments, Theme Houses and Centennial: The only lofts allowed in the traditional/first-year residence halls are those supplied by the University. No handcrafted wood lofts or any other outside lofts purchased or made by residents are allowed. Lofts may not block windows, which permits an alternative evacuation route should an emergency arise. Only single/twin beds are allowed in residential facilities. In addition, no lofted or “stadium-style” seating is allowed in student living spaces.

Heim/White Suites, Johnson Hall and Pioneer Hall: A lofted bed system is supplied for each resident.

Townhouses: A single bed is provided in every single room. Only single beds can be used in the townhouses.

Your mailing address is not your residence hall or university apartment. Please be certain not to include your hall in the address line. All students are issued a Student Mail Box (SMB) and their mail comes to a central location in Smith-Curtis.

Microchill units are the only microwaves allowed in Johnson/Pioneer, Plainsman and Centennial Halls. The Microchill rental program allows residents of the traditional residence halls to have the convenience of a microwave, refrigerator and freezer that is safe for our halls. Units may be rented in the summer for the upcoming academic year through the University approved vendor.

The college is not responsible for loss, theft or damage of personal belongings.  Personal property is defined as any property not furnished by the college. The personal property of residents is not covered by college insurance.  Residents are encouraged to check with parents concerning their homeowners’ policy and/or students may wish to carry their own insurance protection against loss or damage of personal property.

Personal and college property must be stored within a resident’s assigned living space and may not be stored in passageways, stairwells or hallways.  No storage is provided outside a student’s living space at any time unless approved by a member of the Residential Education Office. Residents should keep their rooms, suites, and exterior doors locked at all times.

No pets are allowed at any time (this includes short-term “pet-sitting”) apart from fish in 10 gallons or smaller aquariums in any on-campus residential facility (including townhouses and apartments). Spiders, lizards, turtles, or any other creatures that typically live in an aquarium- type container are also prohibited. A $50 cleaning fee will be assessed for each room the animal occupied. If the animal is not removed by the determined time, a $50/day fine will also be assessed until the animal is removed.

All materials to be posted in the residence halls must be approved by Residential Education or the Center for Student Involvement. Signs and posters for residential facility distribution should be left at the Residential Education Office for distribution. Groups wishing to post posters/ signs on all bulletin boards in residential facilities should provide at least 35 copies (1-3 copies per floor depending on the building). Only Residential Education Coordinators may approve posters for bathroom stalls. Housekeeping staff will remove posters placed in bathroom stalls each Monday unless a specific date for removal is placed on a poster. Posters may not be placed on painted walls, glass doors, and exit and entrance doors to buildings, restrooms, or fire doors. Residential Education Coordinators have the authority to place banners in main lounges using 3M removable tape for special events and information.

Every student has the right to sleep and study without noise interference. Excessive noise is an infringement on your rights and is unacceptable. While it is the responsibility of everyone to control noise, it is also the responsibility of those affected by the noise to ask the offending person or people to be quieter. If this approach fails, contact a Residential Education Coordinator or Peer Assistant in your building. The staff member will ensure that you have tried to resolve the issue yourself before she/he addressed the issue. Please remember that “Courtesy Hours” are in effect 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Noise that is disturbing to others at any time of day or night is inappropriate. Out of courtesy for all hall residents, subwoofer speakers are not allowed.

It is suggested that residents with disabilities (mental health, physical or learning) report them to the ADA Coordinator, Sandra McBride, and on their personal data forms. This information assists the staff in providing appropriate help in the case of evacuations and emergencies and special housing accommodations. Reporting is strictly voluntary and confidential. If at any time a resident becomes physically disabled due to an injury or illness the Residential Education Coordinator of the building will help make temporary accommodations.

Residents are responsible for removing trash and recyclable items regularly.  All housing areas have dumpsters and recycling areas nearby to properly dispose of trash and recycling.  Residents should not throw trash out of the windows, sweep trash into the hallways, or put trash bags with garbage in the hallways.  Residents are also responsible for maintaining satisfactory health and life safety standards and cleaning all areas within the facility, including all furniture, fixtures, appliances and areas not routinely cleaned by college personnel.  Residents must clear personal belongings from the bathroom(s) for scheduled cleanings.  The college reserves the right to ask residents to clean rooms, pods or houses if their condition represents a health and safety concern or will result in deterioration of the facilities.  Non-compliance may result in conduct action and billing to cover the college costs for the cleaning.  

Most residential facilities are painted white, or another neutral shade. Residents may not paint their own rooms/units. Personalizing rooms with posters, pictures, small decorative lamps as well as the essentials of comforters/ bedspreads, towels and linens make residential facilities more homelike. The use of any nails, tacks or tape (double-sided foam, duct, scotch, masking, etc.) to hang items on walls or furniture is prohibited. The only hanging device allowed is 3M removable hooks and poster tape (residents should use at their own risk as improper removal of these items has caused wall damage to occur). There is a $5 charge per square inch of damage, including foam tape and/or nail holes. Mirror tiles are not allowed on the walls, ceilings, or floors. No contact or wallpaper should be used. No drapery rods may be mounted in any facility. In Plainsman Hall, nothing may be placed on the painted walls; all posters should be put up on the paneled section of the room. Strings of lights, including rope lights, may not be used in any facility (see Holiday/Party decorations policy). All fire safety issues listed in the fire and security section apply. No room modifications may be made to a room or unit unless pre-approved in writing by the REC and the maintenance department.

Each resident is responsible for the activities occurring in their room such that all students should be proactive in seeking to assure that college policies are not violated in the living area to which they are assigned.  The living area is defined as the individual’s room for students living in a residence hall, the individual’s room and all attached pod common area spaces (kitchen, living room, etc.) for students living in a suite, townhouse or apartment, and the entirety of the house for students living in a theme house.  Students who do not wish to be held accountable for policy violations perpetrated by their roommates should seek assistance from their Peer Assistant or Residential Education Coordinator.

All due respect is given to the privacy that residents enjoy in their rooms. Occasionally circumstances present themselves that necessitate authorized college personnel to enter student rooms for the purpose of health and safety inspections, repair and maintenance, assessment of damages, inventory of college property, determination of compliance with college, state or federal policies, or emergencies where the imminent danger to life, safety, health, or property is reasonably suspected. When possible, advanced notice will be given to residents.

Whenever a room is entered, the college personnel will knock, announce themselves, and wait thirty (30) seconds for permission to enter. If no response by the resident is made, the staff member will key in announcing the intention to do so and then enter. Whenever a room is entered without a resident being present, the staff member(s) will notify the residents stating the room has been entered, by whom and the purpose for the entry. Any items in violation of college policies, which are in plain view or discovered in a room search, will be confiscated and handled through the student conduct process.

Room inspection
The purpose of a room inspection would be to evaluate whether safety or living rules are being violated, or there is damage to college property. General areas in housing units and the non-individually owned contents of the area, such as lounges, stairwells and kitchenettes, are not subject to the following restriction as they are not considered the private property of the students of the area but are open to all members of the community.

  • A visual survey of the room, its closet and bathroom will be made. Personal possessions of the student may not be moved or examined in an attempt to uncover evidence.
  • It is recommended, but not required, that two staff participate in any inspection.
  • When the intent of the inspection of a particular student’s room is for enforcement of a regulation, when possible, a resident of the room or any other resident of the housing unit should be present. If the student whose room is being inspected for safety or maintenance is not present, it is recommended that the person making the inspection be accompanied by another staff member or student from another room.
  • Policy violations discovered during a safety check or maintenance visit will be addressed using the college conduct process.
  • The individual inspecting the room must knock if the door is closed before entering and students should be informed of the reason for the inspection.
  • If any of the student’s possessions are removed from the room, the residents will be notified.

Room searches by college personnel
The purpose of room searches is to ascertain whether or not college rules are being violated within college residences.

  • Such searches may be made by members of university staff with the permission of the Vice President for Student Life or an appropriate college administrator.
  • Permission for such searches will be given only when there is reason to believe that such a search will reveal evidence of the violation.
  • When possible, the student whose room is to be searched should be present and they should be informed as to the reason for the search.

Legal searches
No college official may consent to the search of a student’s room by police or other government officials. Such searches may be conducted with a warrant or with the consent of the resident(s).

The process for determining residential unit damages is outlined in, “Room Unit Check-In and Check-Out Procedures.”

The following descriptions are examples of the University’s efforts to provide a residential environment sensitive to student safety and security. No systems, however, can guarantee individual safety. Everyone must exercise personal caution and accept individual responsibility for the safety of your person and property:

  • Each facility has a professional staff member, a Residential Education Coordinator assigned to and/ or living in the facility. In most instances, several Peer Assistants (PAs) live on site. All are trained in CPR, basic first aid, and fire prevention.
  • PAs make rounds of Plainsman, Centennial, Pioneer, Johnson, and the Heim and White Suites each evening. Periodic rounds of Townhouse Village are also completed. PA’s check outside doors and first-floor windows during rounds.
  • All residence halls are secured 24 hours a day. On-campus residents have access to the buildings via the fob system from 9am-6pm and only the residents of each building or commuter students participating in the Connect to Campus Program can enter from 6pm-9am.
  • All rooms have “coded” keys. If a room key is lost, the finder will not know the room number or the building of the key. Once a key is reported lost or stolen, the “core” of the lock can be readily changed to prevent entry by the person who found the key. Thus, the coded keys have a two-step protection system.
  • A cellular phone is attended by a student life staff member on duty to ensure communication with other residence hall staff, security and the Lincoln Police Department.
  • Emergency lighting will come on if there is a power loss in the hallway and stairs. Each facility has fire alarms, extinguishers, smoke detectors, and sprinkling systems on each floor.
  • All windows are equipped with screens and locks. They must never be removed.
  • Security cameras are operational at most residential facility entrances as well as at other locations throughout campus.

Smoking (both traditional and e-cigarettes/Juuls) is not permitted in any on-campus residential facility. Students smoking outside of a residential facility must do so at least twenty feet from the building. All cigarette butts must be placed in the receptacles provided. The use or storage of Hookahs is also not permitted.

No door-to-door or public-area soliciting is allowed in any on-campus residence halls at any time. Soliciting is defined as the sale or offer for sale of any property or service and/or receipt or request for any gift or contribution. Exceptions can be made to this policy with prior approval and strict guidelines from the Assistant Dean for Student Success and Residential Education for NWU-recognized student organizations.

No sport activity of any kind is permitted in the hallways or any common area of the residential living facilities. Sport activity may include, but is not limited to: basketball, running, bowling, frisbees, throwing any kind of ball, hacky-sack, rollerblading, riding a scooter, skateboard or hoverboard, gymnastics, Nerf-type guns, etc.

No personal items may be stored in a residential storage area or common area. All furniture provided by NWU must remain in the residential unit.

Unfortunately, theft can be a problem in any community living situation. For this reason, students are strongly encouraged to always keep their room doors locked. Although students report that they feel safe in their buildings, the outside security system only works when residents do not let others into the building. Be sure that some form of insurance covers personal possessions brought to campus either as part of parents’ homeowners’ policy or by a separate renter’s insurance policy. If a theft occurs residents should notify a Residential Education Coordinator and report it to campus security at (402) 432-9238, and in some cases the Lincoln Police at (402) 441-6000.

Theft, vandalism, destruction or unauthorized movement of university (common area or room) property is prohibited. Vandalism or damage charges to common areas are at the discretion of the Residential Education Coordinator.

All weapons including, but not limited to: firearms, knives, paintball guns, B.B. and air guns, pocket knives longer than 3.5 inches, brass/iron knuckles, and explosive materials of any kind including, but not limited to fireworks and flammable liquids are strictly prohibited in all approved residential units. Hunting equipment is prohibited on campus. Firearms or other weapons confiscated by Nebraska Wesleyan officials will be turned over to the Lincoln Police Department for appropriate disposal. In addition to the items listed above, any item that is used to intentionally and deliberately harm or threaten another student can use categorized as a weapon in the conduct process.

Windows and doors are a reflection of the community rather than a resident’s personal space and must be appropriate and of a non-offensive nature. All window decorations are strictly prohibited. No street signs or highway signs may be in windows or rooms.

Room or unit window screens must be left in place and closed including all screens in the suites and townhouse unit community areas. A $30 fine is assessed for each violation of this policy. Entering or exiting a room or unit through a window is strictly prohibited and will result in additional fines as well as disciplinary action.