Our Greek community has built an especially strong campus culture. Earning national recognition by the Association of Fraternal Leadership and Values for academic achievement, council management, leadership and educational development, philanthropy and community service, public relations, membership recruitment, and self governance and judicial affars. Our Panhellenic and Interfraternity Councils set the standard high for all of our chapter members. Thats why nearly 30% of NWU's students are involved in Nebraska Wesleyan's Greek Community.
Our six chapters—three sororities and three fraternities—come together to form one strong community of some of the most effective leaders, highest achieving students, passionate community activists and best friends you'll ever meet.
Benefits of Going Greek
Choosing to become involved in NWU's Greek community brings valuable benefits. As a whole, Nebraska Wesleyan's Greek members:
- Earn higher GPAs.
- Are more involved on campus and the Lincoln community.
- Are more likely to graduate.
- Hold many executive leadership positions in campus organizations.
- Express higher satisfaction with their college experience.
Then there are benefits that aren't so easy to measure. Greek involvement will help you:
- Make life long friends.
- Develop leadership skills
- Make a difference in your community.
- Grow as a student and overall as a person.
Greek Life and Academics
NWU's Greeks take their classes and grades seriously.
- The all-Greek GPA is consistently above the all-student GPA at Nebraska Wesleyan University.
- For the past ten academic semesters, Greek life GPA’s have been higher than the All-Students average. See academic performance by chapter.
- Each chapter sets a minimum grade point average requirement for membership.
Fraternity and sorority membership offers many options to help new members transition academically from high school to college.
- Study hours
- Peer mentors
- Chapter scholarships
- Scholar of the Month Awards
- Panhellenic Council and Interfraternity Council Scholarships
- Order of Omega Greek Academic Honorary
Greek Leadership and Involvement
The Greek community develops advanced leadership skills within its members and provides opportunities to put those skills into action on campus and in the Lincoln community.
Greek members have numerous opportunities to serve in leadership positions in their chapter, within the governing councils, Interfraternity Council (IFC) and Panhellenic Council (PHC), and participate in conferences, workshops, as well as other educational experiences here at Nebraska Wesleyan University and across the country.
Philanthropy and Community Service
Giving back through community service and philanthropy projects is a vital aspect of each fraternity and sorority member's experience. Each member is required to complete a number of community service hours set by each chapter.
- Greek members complete more than 6,500 hours of service each year.
- Chapters raised over $60,000 for various organizations including the Make-A-Wish Foundation, the Food Bank of Lincoln, Serious Fun Network, the American Cancer Society, Fresh Start, Sammy's Superheroes, and the United Service Organizations as well as providing monetary and food donations for Hurrican Harvey relief in Texas.
- During the community's 2018 Greek Week, they donated 1.122 pounds of food to the alumni-directed Food Bank of Lincoln, 1,769 items to the People's City Misson, and volunteered at The BAY and The Salvation Army of Lincoln.
- Nebraska Wesleyan's fraternities and sororities raised $23,146.13 for our campus' American Cancer Society Relay for Life event, raising over 51% of the funds raised on our campus.
- Greek organizations also fundraise to provide their members with academic scholarships.
Contact or visit usJared Marcuson
Assistant Director Student Involvement
Center for Student Involvement
Roy Story Student Center
Lincoln, NE 68504
jmarcuso [at] nebrwesleyan.edu