Dr. Steven Hegemann
Dr. Steven Hegemann
SC - 230 F
Navigant Consulting, Inc. - Associate Director - March 2005 – July 2014 New York, NY
• Led the investigation of mortgage bankruptcy processing procedures for one of the largest banks in the United States. The findings from the investigation of alleged predatory bankruptcy processing led to a multimillion dollar settlement with the U.S. Department of Justice.
• Trained and led the integrity monitoring team of a national construction company in its performance of $600 million in major public works projects involving an international airport, and construction of an iconic downtown building. Provided recommendations for the company’s internal control structure and monitored the procurement and payroll processes.
• Led the litigation support team in the defense of the former CEO of a public company investigated by the New York Attorney General for fraud. Focused on accounting, financial reporting, and audit issues and the subsequent financial statement restatement involving a document production involving tens of millions of pages of information.
• Led the stock option backdating analysis team for a large internet corporation that resulted in the restatement of over a quarter billion dollars in revenue and relisting of the company on the NASDAQ Stock Market.
• Led the investigation of alleged bribery and kickbacks related to the United Nations’ Iraqi Oil for Food Program for an international pharmaceutical company.
• Worked with senior management and legal team of a major construction equipment rental company to resolve accounting issues related to purchase accounting. Presented issues, analyses and remediation plans to the SEC Division of Enforcement in response to their investigation and inquires allowed the firm to maintain its listing on the NYSE.
• Involved in firm wide training delivered to keep staff apprised of current accounting issues.
Morgan Stanley - Senior Associate - May 2004 - February 2005 New York, NY
• Responsible for fund and investment accounting and reporting.
• Coordinated and confirmed global real estate investment transactions.
• Coordinated and confirmed the accuracy and timing of currency hedging transactions for investments throughout Europe and Asia.
KPMG LLP - Senior Associate - September 1999 - May 2004 New York, NY
• Planned and executed audit engagement testing in the Forensics and Litigation; Manufacturing and Retail; and Information, Communication and Entertainment lines of business.
• Coordinated, supervised and implemented bankruptcy emergence issues for a large telecommunications company.
• Acted as monitor for the World Trade Center Disaster Recovery. Supervised the analysis of labor, materials and equipment used at Ground Zero, and approved the billings submitted by contractors.
United States Army - Section Sergeant - June 1989 - June 1993 Various
• Responsible for the planning and implementation of section training and readiness. Consistently promoted above peers and more experienced personnel. Received Army Commendation Medal for performance during Operation Desert Shield/Storm and peacekeeping operations thereafter.
Pace University New York, NY
• Doctorate of Professional Studies in Business - Concentrations in Finance and International Economics (AACSB Accredited) - May 2013
University of Nebraska - Lincoln Lincoln, NE
• Masters of Professional Accountancy - May 1999
• Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with Accounting Emphasis - December 1997
• Ethics, Financial Reporting Fraud, Forensic Analysis, International Financial Reporting Standards, Moral Hazard, and Unintended Consequences.
• Certified Public Accountant, Licensed in the State of New York
• Certified in Financial Forensics
• Certified Fraud Examiner
• Certificate in Forensic Accounting - New York University
• American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
• New York State Society of Certified Public Accountants
• Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
• Veterans of Foreign Wars
• American Legion