Nebraska Wesleyan University is always looking for ways to positively engage our students and integrate them into our NWU community. This focus on the student experience is the basis for a brand new option for some of our first-year students and NWU alumni...the Prairie Wolf Partners program!
Why is there a PWP program?
The Prairie Wolf Partners program is designed for students coming to NWU from a long distance (300+ miles) and local alumni who want to make a difference. To help these students make the transition to a new city and a new campus, NWU will pair up those interested with a local alum volunteer who will be a resource for them during their first year (with the option to continue).
What do volunteers get to do?
Here are some of the key program details you will want to know as an NWU alum before volunteering to be a Prairie Wolf Partner (PWP):
- Commitment is for one year only with the option to continue.
- You are encouraged to interact with your PWP student approximately three times during each semester, either on-campus or outside of the home. Suggested activities include:
- Attending an NWU sporting event, concert or theatre production together.
- Going out to dinner at a local restaurant.
- Sending a supportive email or making a phone call to check on how the student is doing.
- Enjoying local attractions/activities like putt-putt golf, movies, museums, zoo, etc..
- Volunteering together on a service project in the community.
- Supporting your student’s NWU involvement by attending their performances, shows, games, etc..
- NWU will hire an outside company to run quick and easy background checks on PWP alumni volunteers at no cost to participants (results are delivered to NWU’s HR department and remain confidential).
How do I sign up?
While the time commitment is minimal, the positive impact you can have on a student’s first year can make a big difference! Please consider volunteering to be a PWP and express interest by completing the form below. Please register by June 16, 2017 for the 2017-2018 school year.
If you have any questions, please call Shelley McHugh, Director of Alumni Relations, at 402-465-2123. Thank you!