Athletic Training Undergraduate Program
Nebraska Wesleyan University’s undergraduate Athletic Training Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (CAATE). In 2021, CAATE announced it will only accredit master’s degree programs after 2022.
As a result, NWU will transition our traditional four-year bachelor’s degree program in athletic training will transition to a 3+2 master's degree program. Future undergraduates interested in becoming a BOC-certified athletic trainer can seek admission into NWU’s 3+2 program to earn a Master of Athletic Training in five years. Students on this track will declare an undergraduate major in exercise science and apply for admission into the graduate program during their junior year. Accepted students complete their graduate courses in their fourth and fifth years, earning both a bachelor’s degree in exercise science and a Master of Athletic Training from Nebraska Wesleyan in just five years.
Transfer students enrolling in fall 2022 may still qualify to complete a bachelor’s degree under the traditional bachelor’s degree program and be eligible to take the Board of Certification (BOC) exam to become a certified athletic trainer.
Goals of the program:
Upon completion of the Nebraska Wesleyan Athletic Training Program, students will:
- Develop mastery of the knowledge, skills, and abilities required of an entry-level athletic trainer.
- Be prepared for employment in a variety of athletic training and health care settings.
- Identify injuries and other medical conditions commonly seen in physically active individuals, including members of different cultures and socioeconomic statuses.
- Recognize the importance of being involved in and networking through professional organizations.
- Value ethical principles and behavior required of a health care professional.
Athletic Training Policy and Procedures Manual
Please see our Athletic Training Policy and Procedures Manual below for more information.
NWU BOC outcome data
See NWU athletic training students yearly board of certification (BOC) outcome data at CAATE Program Information and Outcomes.