Vice President for Advancement
The Aspen Leadership Group is proud to partner with Nebraska Wesleyan University in the search for a Vice President for Advancement.
The Vice President for Advancement will play a leadership role in the transformation of Nebraska Wesleyan University's culture of philanthropy through the implementation of a strategic fundraising program, including a comprehensive resources campaign. The Vice President will design and lead development programs that strengthen Nebraska Wesleyan’s resource base while engaging alumni, parents, friends, corporate and foundation leaders, church partners, and community leaders. The Vice President will manage all development offices including the Archway Fund (annual giving), planned and capital giving, externally funded grants, stewardship, research, and development support services. The Vice President will partner with the President and the Board of Governors to establish productive relationships with leadership donors and volunteers.
Furthermore, the Vice President will design, implement, and launch a comprehensive campaign that will secure support for Nebraska Wesleyan’s strategic priorities and serve as an opportunity to set new standards and expectations for the philanthropic culture of the University—preparing and training a generation of volunteer leaders; broadening the leadership donor base; integrating all components of the advancement program; expanding the engagement of alumni and friends; upgrading the professional donor-research capability; and improving database management, reporting, and other development services.
Nebraska Wesleyan University is a thriving, growing comprehensive, liberal arts-based institution with approximately 1,600 traditional, adult, and graduate students. Its academic programs are rooted in an enduring commitment to excellence; a belief in the power of personal attention, teaching, and learning; and a strong tradition of shared governance. The University is guided by its new multi-year strategic plan, which launched in fall 2021. The plan affirms an unchanging commitment to deliver an outstanding, student-centered, transformative education grounded in the liberal arts and sciences.
The Vice President for Advancement will:
- strengthen Nebraska Wesleyan’s culture of philanthropy;
- design, implement, and regularly evaluate development strategies and tactics for all philanthropic constituencies;
- motivate and lead the advancement team;
- develop volunteer leadership in support of institutional needs;
- serve as the chief development officer by establishing and maintaining productive relationships including the cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of leadership donors and prospects;
- guide and support the President’s fundraising activity;
- support Board of Governors members and other key volunteers as needed to advance their relationships with donors;
- prepare for, plan, and implement a comprehensive resources campaign that will have a lasting impact on NWU’s tradition of support;
- establish goals that meet the University’s needs, designing plans to meet them, and accepting individual and team accountability;
- increase the effectiveness and reach of advancement programs by enlisting partners including Board of Governors members, alumni leaders, faculty, and staff;
- ensure appropriate stewardship of gifts;
- serve as an active, collegial member of the President’s senior management team, collaborating in the development and implementation of strategies that meet institutional needs; and
- provide professional management of all development operations including budgeting, policies, systems, and reporting.
PREFERRED COMPETENCIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
Nebraska Wesleyan University seeks a Vice President for Advancement with:
- a commitment to intellectual and personal growth within the context of liberal arts education and in an environment of Christian concern consistent with Nebraska Wesleyan University's mission and vision;
- experience building a program that has been successful raising sights, reaching untapped potential, and producing lasting change in philanthropic habits;
- experience as an accomplished fundraiser, ideally at an independent institution of higher education;
- experience as a results-oriented motivator of the work of others including an ability to hire, inspire, and redirect as necessary;
- a history of progressively increasing responsibilities and long-term success in planning, supervising, and carrying out the work of an advancement office;
- experience with major facilities projects, annual funds, and comprehensive campaigns;
- an affinity for working cooperatively and effectively with volunteers;
- an ability to provide leadership in the creation of a compelling and consistent case for support;
- excellent oral and written communication skills as well as excellent interpersonal skills;
- experience using data to assess, report, and improve results; and
- personal qualities suitable to working effectively among a strong group of Vice Presidents. A bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required for this position as is at least seven years of senior advancement experience.
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter and résumé. Cover letters should be responsive to the mission and vision of Nebraska Wesleyan University as well as the responsibilities and qualifications presented in the prospectus. Applicants are highly encouraged to demonstrate how they can enhance and embrace the University's core values in a diversity statement submitted as part of their cover letter. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the successful candidate has been selected.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, sexual identity and orientation, veteran status, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE. To apply for this position, visit: https://opportunities.aspenleadershipgroup.com/opportunities/1223. All inquiries will be held in confidence.