Nebraska Wesleyan University seeks applications for a Technical Director for the Theatre Arts program. Primary goals for this position include the building of a rigorous training program in technical direction and scenic construction through student recruitment and mentorship; as well as management of our on-site scene shop (which includes a ShopBot CNC router), technical direction, master carpentry, and student crew leadership on all department productions.
The Theatre Arts program is a nationally recognized program with an innovative curriculum, an ambitious production season, and a commitment to excellence and opportunity for students and greater community.
The successful candidate for this position will possess a high level of technical theatre expertise, capability to teach a course in Stagecraft and other courses in area of expertise, initiative, self-motivation, commitments to safety and diversity, and be able to work collaboratively with faculty, staff, and students. This position is full-time staff position and works 12 months throughout the year. The position offers a comprehensive salary and full benefits package including health, vision, and dental insurance as well as retirement and tuition remission benefits.
Nebraska Wesleyan University is an independent Methodist-affiliated liberal arts university of approximately 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students in Lincoln, Nebraska. The University’s steadfast commitment to putting learning into action through internships, study abroad, service learning and collaborative research has yielded tremendous outcomes for students and alumni.
- Ensure technical support and supervision for theatre productions, and all other campus uses in the theatre facilities, and ensure the proper use and safe operation of the theatre and its technical assets.
- Work closely with the Director of Theatre for all campus theatre productions and perform other related duties as assigned.
- Attends scheduled production meetings in order to supervise and assist in the technical aspects of mounting theatre productions.
- Serve as master carpenter for theatre productions.
- Facilitate set and stage construction and management for theatre program, including maintaining inventory and ordering supplies and new equipment.
- Provide instruction for Stagecraft and other courses as appropriate.
- Monitor the condition of equipment, arrange for repair and replacement within budgetary constraints, and perform preventative maintenance of equipment.
- Responsible for operation and supervision of counterweight system.
- Responsible for teaching and enforcing proper safety and operation when using tools and equipment in the scene shop and other theatre facilities.
- Recruit, train, schedule, supervise, and evaluate Scene Shop Work Study students and students doing practicum hours for classes, and create a positive, productive work environment.
- Maintain courteous, professional and effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, vendors, and representatives of external organizations.
- Comply with all University policies and procedures.
- Must have a Master of Fine Arts in Technical Direction (preferred) or a Master’s degree with course work in technical theatre, or substantial demonstrated professional work experience in technical theatre. Teaching experience preferred.
- Must have comprehensive knowledge of shop equipment and rigging equipment, as well as experience using, and teaching others to use, theatre tools and equipment.
- Must have excellent carpentry skills.
- Ability to work within and manage a given budget for each theatre production and assist in estimating costs as production season is being planned.
- Ability to prepare, read and interpret ‘to-scale’ drawings of ground plans, light plots, etc.
- Familiar with University emergency procedures and protocols and has a working knowledge of first aid and CPR.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, set and meet deadlines, help devise a season schedule for shop and stage work, and work well under deadline pressures.
- Ability to work independently, as well as on a team.
- Must have excellent communication and human relations skills, and have the ability to work with individuals from a variety of backgrounds and diverse populations.
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how they enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
To apply, please upload a letter of application addressing qualifications, resume, a diversity statement, and the names of three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/ Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.