Nebraska Wesleyan University is seeking a part-time Sponsored Programs Assistant to coordinate financial post-award and accounting for grants. This position reports to the Director of Sponsored Programs and Foundation Relations and will work closely with the Business Office, faculty and staff across divisions, and various grantmaking agencies, both public and private.
NWU offers a competitive wage based on qualifications. The position is scheduled for 10 hours per week, 52 weeks per year. Actual time worked will vary from week to week based on grant award timelines. This position is eligible for Flexible Spending, Assurity Products, and Pet Insurance benefits.
- Provide post-award services that produce well-administered grants that comply with all applicable university and grantmaker policies and regulations. Serve as a resource for project directors and administrators on budget development, financial analysis, post-award reporting and compliance, and financial closeout.
- Initiate the chart of accounts for the grant award budget categories. Track and reconcile grant expenditures to the general ledger for timely and accurate budget analysis, compliance with federal cost principles, billing, and reporting. Initiate cost transfers when necessary and ensure post-award accounting issues are promptly and accurately resolved.
- Perform routine review of grant expenditures with project directors to assess spending rate and forecast future expenses. Ensure the grant captures all appropriate direct and indirect costs each billing cycle. Prepare and submit financial reports to grantmakers, including reimbursement requests. Assist with the preparation of budget modifications. Track accounting of cost-share commitments. Close all grant accounts and assist in the maintenance of accurate records of all post-award documentation.
- Oversee administrative processes and documentation of personnel effort and expenses. Initiate and review all grant-funded compensation, including summer salary and student employees. Collect time and effort reports and monitor the distribution of effort to assure compliance with federal and university regulations and other sponsor requirements.
- Enhance professional knowledge and skills by attending training sessions and workshops, and monitoring changes to federal grant regulations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably with coursework or degree in finance, accounting, or related field
- Proficiency in MS Excel and other Microsoft Office Suite applications required
- Experience with general ledger fund accounting in higher education or other nonprofit setting preferred
- Practical experience with grants, federal regulations, and project management preferred
- Aptitude with financial management systems
- Ability to interpret, apply, and communicate regulations and procedures
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively, prioritize multiple projects, and meet deadlines
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders
- Attention to detail, integrity, and strong work ethic
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how they are able to enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, sexual identity and orientation, veteran status, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, the ADA, E-Verify, and EOE.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, a resume, a diversity statement as a writing sample, and the names and contact information for three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.