Science Lab Stockroom Manager
Nebraska Wesleyan University seeks applications for a full-time, twelve-month Science Lab Stockroom Manager. The position will start immediately. The Science Lab Stockroom Manager is in charge of inventory and preparation for science laboratories and performs essential functions personally or in collaboration with designated staff or outside vendors. This position work directly with the department chairs of both the chemistry and biology departments.
- Provide for the day-to-day operation of the science laboratories, which include, but are not limited to, preparing solutions, media, bacterial cultures, and setting up equipment/materials for all laboratory sections as required by lab instructors.
- Monitor and maintain available glassware, chemicals, and equipment inventory in laboratory spaces, storage rooms, and prep rooms.
- Maintain student equipment drawers for each course that requires drawers.
- Supervise and coordinate student laboratory workers and teaching assistants.
- Provide initial lab safety orientation and technical training for newly hired laboratory student workers and teaching assistants.
- Coordinate scheduling and workload of student personnel.
- Monitor work performances of student personnel.
- Repair minor laboratory equipment when possible and order replacements when necessary and coordinate additional maintenance repairs as needed in the science facility.
- Maintain an inventory list (using an inventory management system) of chemicals and equipment in the department.
- Maintain accurate records of laboratory purchases and other budgetary issues.
- Ensure recertification/recalibration of equipment (fume hoods, BSCs, etc.) as required on an annual or biennial basis.
- Assist with the ordering of materials, supplies, and equipment to ensure department needs are met.
- Assist with science summer camps and other recruiting and outreach efforts as needed.
- Keep up to date on all necessary certifications/training and practices related to laboratory safety and chemical handling.
- Ensure that all necessary safety material is present in the labs, and be a resource for questions related to laboratory safety/chemical handling for students/faculty/staff.
Related work experience in laboratory management including demonstrated ability and willingness to read and follow directions. Must be well-organized, meticulous, flexible, self-motivated, resourceful, computer literate, able to delegate and to work alongside both students and faculty, knowledgeable of basic biology and chemistry laboratory techniques, possess good interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to hire and supervise student workers.
Skills and Abilities:
- Develop and nurture an effective, productive, and respectful rapport and working relationship with students, faculty, and co-workers, maintaining appropriate level of professionalism.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal public speaking and organizational skills, flexibility, and creativity.
- Demonstrate strong written, telephone, and electronic communication skills.
- Communicate information clearly and concisely and listen well to others.
- Maintain a high level of accuracy and consistency. Review work to detect errors, oversights, or omissions.
- Take immediate and independent action when necessary. Implement creative problem-solving.
- Accomplish tasks with follow-through to completion.
- Computer literate (see skills above); must possess aptitude for technological development and its implications for appropriate automation of office; proficient in Microsoft Office.
- Instrumental experience, to the extent necessary to perform assigned duties listed above.
Work Environment, Physical Demands:
Chemical stockroom and laboratories; work with sensitive and hazardous materials on occasion; computer data input; multiple concurrent tasks with constant service interruptions; detailed work; frequent walking from one laboratory or storage area to another; moving equipment and instruments.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; field/area should be biochemistry, biotechnology, chemistry, or a related area.
- Training in Laboratory Safety through college coursework or professional educational programs.
- Experience in biology/chemistry laboratory preparation and supervision, preferably in academic environment.
- Knowledge of basic biological and chemical techniques.
- Must be proficient in basic computer programs use especially database and spreadsheet applications.
- Proficiency with computerized laboratory equipment and computerized inventory methods.
- Strong interpersonal skills for effective communication with faculty, students, staff, and vendors.
- Master’s Degree preferred; field/area should be biochemistry, biotechnology, chemistry, or a related area.
- Formal training in laboratory safety
- Knowledge of management of chemicals and of chemical and biological waste.
- Knowledge of OSHA/EPA/NFPA. Experience with managing waste streams
- Experience in using analytical instrumentations
- Experience with inventory management software for labs and chemical stockrooms.
- Knowledge and experience with media preparation and experimental protocols for chemistry, molecular biology, microbiology, and anatomy and physiology labs.
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how they enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
To apply, please upload a letter of application addressing qualifications, resume, a diversity statement, and the names of three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/ Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.