Nebraska Wesleyan University is seeking a full-time Payroll Specialist working within the Human Resources department and is responsible for processing university payroll, ensuring compliance with payroll laws and university policies, data entry, analysis, and verification of information within our Payroll system, and integration of new technology in our department to continue to enhance payroll services for NWU employees.
This position reports to the Assistant VP of Human Resources and requires a cross-functional relationship with the accounting department for payroll processing, general ledger accounting for payroll items, and support of payroll compliance and reporting. In addition, the Payroll Specialist will collaborate with faculty, staff, and students.
NWU offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefits plan including Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Disability benefits, Retirement, seven weeks of paid time off per year as an exempt employee through vacation and holidays, and 100% tuition discount for dependents after one year of service.
- Process semi-monthly payroll for hourly-paid employees, monthly payroll for salaried employees, and monthly payroll for student employees (4 payrolls per month).
- Analyze submitted time-entry submissions for accuracy.
- Serve as a point of contact for supervisors’ and employees’ payroll inquiries.
- Train employees on the use of time-entry software.
- Create payroll training materials for employee and student use.
- Implement and maintain payroll best practices and university procedures.
- Research and resolve payroll and benefit premium discrepancies.
- Conduct monthly and annual benefit billing reconciliation.
- Conduct audits and run reports to verify accurate payroll deductions, salary adjustments, and benefit payroll deductions.
- Entry of all data for new hires, separations and employment changes into Ellucian enterprise payroll system, HRIS benefit systems, and ensure accuracy of payroll entry.
- Creation of new accounts for students and employees in Ellucian payroll system.
- Perform other duties to support Payroll and HR needs as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Human Resource Management or related field.
- Two to three years’ experience working with payroll practices, payroll-related law, and HR policies/practices.
- Demonstrated experience and working knowledge in areas of FMLA, Worker’s Compensation, ACA, ADAAA, benefits, OSHA, payroll and compensation rules and practices, background check administration, E-Verify and I-9 documentation.
- Possess strong analytical skills, communication skills and the ability to perform multiple tasks in a high volume environment.
- Possess strong data entry skills to produce accurate transactions.
- Must be computer proficient, with knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite applications including Excel, Word, Power Point, Outlook, One Note and SharePoint.
- Must be able to maintain and be responsible for confidential information, accuracy and ongoing record-keeping.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize multiple projects, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to pay close attention to detail, proofread and ensure accuracy of data and reports.
- Ability to negotiate with others and resolve conflicts, particularly in sensitive situations.
- Must have high initiative, confidence, integrity, strong work ethic, and desire to consistently improve internal processes.
- Preference will be given to candidates with Ellucian Colleague or Banner experience.
- Preference will be given to candidates with active APA, PHR, or SHRM-CP certification.
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how they are able to enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, sexual identity and orientation, veteran status, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, a resume, a diversity statement as a writing sample, and the names of three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.