Part-time Science Lab Stockroom Assistant
The science division at Nebraska Wesleyan University invites applications for the part-time, position of Science Lab Stockroom Assistant to begin as soon as possible. The Lab Stockroom Assistant will be responsible for the science department stockroom and for preparations of undergraduate biology, chemistry, and physics laboratory courses. On occasion, chemical preparation assistance will also be given to the greenhouse, psychology and art courses.
This is an hourly paid, part-time position working 20 hours per week and will be eligible for prorated paid time off, holiday pay, options to purchase Accident and Critical Illness as well as pet insurance, tuition remission benefits and the ability to participate in the NWU Retirement plan.
- Preparation of reagents, media and cultures for undergraduate teaching laboratories.
- Set-up and take-down of supplies and equipment for undergraduate teaching laboratories.
- Maintain and repair equipment used in teaching laboratories.
- Maintain inventory of chemicals, reagents, cultures, glassware, and other laboratory supplies.
- Coordinate the receiving, distribution, and storage of chemicals, equipment, and other laboratory supplies.
- Coordinate safe handling, safety/hazard labeling, and storage of chemicals, reagents, solvents, cultures and compressed gases.
- Assist maintaining library of Safety Data Sheets in the science department.
- Assist with the purchasing of chemicals, reagents, cryogens, gases, equipment, and other laboratory supplies.
- Conduct the annual department-wide inventory of chemicals and equipment.
- Train, manage, and supervise student workers in the stockroom
- Work with faculty and staff members in the Department as directed by the Chairperson or as necessary to carry out the other duties
- Promote a safe laboratory environment.
- A Bachelor's degree in Chemistry or Biochemistry; anticipated Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 graduates will be considered. Work experience, including laboratory coursework towards the degree, may be substituted for the education requirement.
- Commitment to laboratory safety.
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Computer proficiency. Familiarity with Microsoft Office suite; Outlook, Word, Excel, OneNote, and Teams.
- Ability to handle chemical reagents and deal with chemical hazards.
- Strong organizational skills.
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to
demonstrate how they enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
To apply, please upload a letter of application addressing qualifications, resume, a diversity statement, and the names of three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/ Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.