Nebraska Wesleyan University seeks applications for an individual who will provide support for the Science Lab Manager with a variety of tasks including lab preparation, set up, and tear down of equipment for physical science laboratory classes, chemical, equipment, and glassware inventory, ordering of materials and making reagents or media for assigned physical science teaching labs.
The successful candidate will possess a high level of diplomacy, confidentiality, initiative, self-motivation. This position is scheduled for 20 hours per week and works 12 months during the year. This position does not offer health insurance but will offer paid time off, holiday pay, flexible spending, Assurity Accident and Critical Illness/Cancer policies and pet insurance options, as well as, tuition remission benefits.
- Prepare, set up, and take down supplies and equipment for science laboratory classes
- Assist with the ordering of materials, supplies, and equipment
- Receive and organize inventory, chemicals, glassware and equipment
- Assist with preparation of chemical reagents for science labs
- Assist with maintaining accurate records of laboratory purchases
- Assist with equipment inventory, maintenance, and repair needs i.e. Clean Microscopes or Calibrate Pipettes
- Maintain SDS for hazardous materials in the department
- Assist with chemical waste collection, labeling, decontamination, neutralization and disposal in department and assigned lab classes
- Coordinate scheduling and workload as well as monitor performance of student personnel
- Associate’s degree in Biology, Chemistry or related discipline
- Training in Laboratory Safety through college coursework or professional educational programs
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in biology/chemistry laboratory preparation
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Suite programs including Word and Excel
- Proficiency with computerized laboratory equipment and computerized inventory methods
- Strong interpersonal skills for effective communication with faculty and students
- Demonstrate good organizational, spelling and proofreading skills, be detail oriented, adaptable, flexible, and work with multiple interruptions.
- Must be punctual and have good attendance habits
Preference will be given for:
- Knowledge of chemical and biological waste management and chemical segregation
- Knowledge of OSHA and EPA regulations
- Experience with institutional biosafety committees
- Experience in using analytical instrumentations including HPLC, GC, IR
Experience with the inventory management software Quartzy
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to
demonstrate how they enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
To apply, please upload a letter of application including a diversity statement, resume, and the names of three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.