Part-time Administrative Assistant for the Communication Studies, Social Work and Sociology/Anthropology Departments
Nebraska Wesleyan University seeks applications for an individual to provide part-time administrative support for the Department Chairs, faculty, and students in the Communication Studies, Social Work and Sociology/Anthropology Departments.
The successful candidate for this position will possess a high level of initiative, self-motivation and be able to work with discretion regarding sensitive information. This position will work 30- 35 hours per week, 10 months throughout the year (August through May) and 8 to 10 hours per week during the summer months (June and July) totaling around 1600 hours per year.
For this part-time position working over 1600 hours per year, NWU offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefits plan including Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Disability benefits, Retirement, five weeks of paid time off per year as an exempt employee through vacation and holidays, and 100% tuition discount for dependents after one year of service.
- Maintain department financial records, process and reconcile monthly budgets for each department, maintain and process department credit cards invoices and reconciliation, prepare monthly budget reports for departments’ accounts
- Hire train, and supervise student employees in various departments
- Prepare student payroll forms; verify and file student payroll records
- Prepare payment forms, process department orders for office supplies and equipment.
- Assist in planning and coordinating special projects, make lodging reservations for guest speakers, and other activities such as end of semester evaluations
- Answer and direct phone calls, act as reference person for the department; answer general questions from prospective and current students regarding programs
- Update department memos and prepare copies of meeting notes, tests, syllabi, correspondence, prepare purchase orders and payment requests
- Maintain relationships with professional university and community members
- Prepare materials for the Mail and Copy Center; collects, sorts, and distributes mail and copies for departments.
- One to two years’ experience as an administrative assistant or related position
- Must be extremely proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Must have some experience with bookkeeping, account management or experience submitting expense paperwork for payment
- Must be able to work well with students, faculty, staff and administration while providing great customer service for internal and external parties
- Possess good interpersonal communication skills, as well as strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrate good organizational, spelling and proofreading skills, be detail oriented, adaptable, flexible, and work with multiple interruptions
- Demonstrate the ability to maintain and be responsible for confidential information
- Prefer experience in project management, planning, scheduling
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how they are able to enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, sexual identity and orientation, veteran status, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, a resume, a diversity statement as a writing sample, and the names of three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.