Nebraska Wesleyan University seeks applications for a full-time, twelve-month Instructional Designer position to start immediately. This role will serve as NWU’s primary instructional designer and will enhance student success by partnering with faculty and academic departments to support curriculum development, integrate effective instructional strategies, and expand inclusive teaching practices. Reporting to the Associate Provost, the Instructional Designer will provide expertise in learning theory, pedagogical strategies, and instructional design practices to support teaching across all modalities: in-person, hybrid, and online.
The position includes a comprehensive package with health, vision and dental insurance benefits, retirement benefits, a generous holiday and vacation schedule, and undergraduate tuition remission for employees’ dependents among other benefits.
Nebraska Wesleyan University is a private university serving 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students and committed to a liberal arts education. Located in Lincoln, the capital city of Nebraska, and with an instructional location in Omaha, NWU offers programs for traditional and adult undergraduate and for graduate students. NWU has a long-standing commitment to enhancing teaching and learning with technology. The University has offered online courses since 2004, and plans to open its first fully online program in Fall 2022.
The position will support and promote excellence and innovation in teaching, learning, and technology. The Instructional Designer will partner with faculty and academic departments to conceptualize, design, and develop high quality face-to-face, hybrid, and online courses and programs. In addition, the Instructional Designer will assess learning needs and deliver workshops and other professional development opportunities to enhance effective teaching practices, including the use of the Learning Management System and other integrated systems.
- Apply a systematic instructional design model to the design and development of educationally rich learning environments, including face to face, hybrid, and online.
- Collaborate with faculty and academic staff to implement and support innovative pedagogies that lead to student success.
- Assess faculty development needs in teaching and learning with technology. Assist faculty with varying backgrounds and levels of proficiency to learn about and implement new instructional technologies and techniques.
- Develop and deliver professional development opportunities for faculty such as workshops, multimedia tutorials, department/program facilitations, and one-on-one consultations. This may include assisting faculty with identifying sources of instructional media such as multimedia content, graphics, interactive activities, scenarios, video, and other electronic materials to enrich course content.
- Guide departments on best practices in online learning, and facilitate the development of design standards for online programs that promote student learning in accessible and friction-free environments.
- Collaborate with university service departments on the administration of academic technologies including the LMS and video conferencing tools.
- Serve as NWU liaison to peer online quality benchmarking and training (e.g., Quality Matters or similar).
- Serve as point person for compliance issues (e.g., designing for fair use, academic integrity, 508 accessibility, and NC-SARA) in the online learning environment.
- Support and advance the NWU strategic plan, and perform other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in instructional design, instructional technology or related field, and a minimum of 3 years’ experience in related work. Instructional design experience in higher education is a high priority for the position.
- Thorough understanding of curriculum development and instructional design.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current best practices in pedagogy and adult learning theory across multiple modalities, including online teaching.
- Conversant with contemporary instructional design models and concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to design and evaluate effective online curricula in light of best practices.
- Ability to develop and maintain collegial partnerships with faculty, interpreting their needs accurately, guiding them toward effective solutions, facilitating discussion, and producing quality instructional materials.
- Ability to design and deliver online and face-to-face professional development workshops. Must be able to engage an audience and lead small and large groups to mastery of learning objectives.
- Demonstrated proficiency with a variety of educational technologies, including:
- Learning management systems
- Screen-casting software
- Web conferencing platforms
- eLearning authoring tools
- Other tools that enhance accessibility for students
- Office 365 Suite
- Hardware used to support instructional software
- Proficiency with peer online quality benchmarking and training (e.g., Quality Matters rubrics & standards or similar).
- Conversant with issues related to compliance in the online environment
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how they are able to enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, sexual identity and orientation, veteran status, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, the ADA, E-Verify, and EOE.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, a resume or CV, a diversity statement as a writing sample, and the names and contact information for three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.