Contact or visit us
5000 Saint Paul Avenue
Lincoln, NE 68504
Fax (402) 465-2565
mharder [at] nebrwesleyan.edu
Nebraska Wesleyan University has an opening for a full-time Grounds Keeper. This position is responsible for maintaining lawns, trees, flowers, shrubs, nurseries, rest areas, greenhouses, athletic fields, streets, and sidewalks by performing a variety of manual tasks and using hand and power tools, landscaping machinery, tractors, and related equipment to ensure NWU property is properly cared for and maintained. The winter shift for this position will be from 7:00 am to 3:30 pm, Monday through Friday. Some overtime may be available due to weather conditions during the winter.
* Maintain grounds to enhance NWU property including: Mow lawns and fields, cut and lay sod, plant, cultivate and trim plants, shrubs, flowers, and trees
*Operate lawn mowers, power sweepers, tractors, various power and hand tools, and related equipment.
* Patch and grade parking lots, streets, and sidewalks
* Paint parking lot striping
* Line and maintain athletic fields, set up equipment for special events
* Build and maintain landscaping
* Apply chemicals such as pesticides, fertilizers, and herbicides
* Remove ice, snow, and debris from sidewalks, streets, and grounds to make areas accessible to the public and to ensure safe operations
* Load, unload, and move furniture, equipment, materials, and supplies to carry out work requests
* Perform other work as assigned
*Must be able to follow written and oral instructions, stand for extended periods of time, kneel or squat for extended periods; and lift up to 50 pounds on a regular basis
* Ability to perform work with prolonged standing, bending, and working in cramped areas and working on roofs, from ladders, man-lifts and on scaffolding at various heights
* Ability to do physical work, including lifting, climbing, regular use of stairs and lift up to 50 pounds on a regular basis
*Ability to perform work outdoors in all weather conditions
*Understand the nature of work is subject to falls, cuts, burns, and abrasions from various tools and equipment and strained muscles from heavy lifting
* Understand the nature of work has contact with hazardous substances when handling fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides
* Working knowledge of computers for tasks including reading email, logging hours and entering work order information is necessary
* This position will require the possession of or the ability to obtain a valid driver's license
*Will be required to work on call outside of regular hours
Prior to employment, applicants will have to successfully complete a criminal background check, pre-employment drug test, and pre-employment physical. NWU offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefits plan including Health, Life, Disability, Retirement, paid vacation and sick leave, and 100% tuition discount for employee and dependents after one year of service.
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University's mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how they are able to enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, sexual identity and orientation, veteran status, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
To apply, please upload or provide a letter of application, resume, and the names of three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/. NWU will accept applications until the position is filled.