Contact or visit us
5000 Saint Paul Avenue
Lincoln, NE 68504
Fax (402) 465-2565
mharder [at] nebrwesleyan.edu
Director of Wesleyan Honors Academy
Nebraska Wesleyan University is seeking a full-time, twelve-month* Director of Wesleyan Honors Academy, responsible for leading institutional efforts in all areas of the Wesleyan Honors Academy (WHA) program. The successful incumbent will recruit high school teachers from assigned area High Schools to teach classes for the Wesleyan Honors Academy program that will provide dual credit for high school and college requirements. Additionally, the position provides support to participating schools and teachers in the program, assists in reviewing and accessing high school teachers participating in the program, and will supervise a staff of three people who help achieve the program and recruitment goals. The position reports to the Dean of Graduate and Adult Programs and interacts closely with academic affairs, other administrative divisions, and individual faculty. *If there are candidates from academia who prefer to work a shortened academic period like a ten-month or eleven-month period during the year, there is the potential to negotiate for the desired appointment period.
NWU offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefits plan including Health Insurance, Life Insurance, Disability benefits, Retirement, seven weeks of paid time off per year as an exempt employee through vacation and holidays, and 100% tuition discount for dependents after one year of service.
- Develop, implement and oversee program in cooperation with the Dean; including but not limited to setting program policies, spending of program budget, creating and implementing a marketing program with the University’s Marketing Office, coordinating the activities of department coordinators, and coordinating on campus functions such as workshops and meetings.
- Supervise the Assistant Director of Wesleyan Honors Academy, part-time recruiter and Staff Assistant to WHA.
- Recruit High Schools as participants in the Wesleyan Honors Academy program.
- Develop relationships with teachers and guidance counselors in Nebraska High Schools that will facilitate placing the program in the high schools.
- Work with school administrators to set up programs in their high schools.
- Provide management support to participating high schools, students and teachers.
- Work with the program’s staff assistant to process faculty and student applications.
- Provide support to high school students and parents by answering questions and assisting with application process.
- Implement special student recruitment programs by holding open houses and information sessions with parents, teachers, school administrators, and students.
- Provide review of participating teachers.
- Work with NWU departments and faculty liaisons to insure class materials and teacher qualifications align with University standards for college level instruction.
- Assist faculty liaisons with review and assessment of classroom instruction.
- Facilitates high school classroom visits for participating teachers, assist teachers in meeting standards, and provide evaluation of courses and programs in each assigned high school.
- Ensure compliance with NACEP Accreditation Standards and manage Honors Academy budget.
- Master’s degree required.
- One year of experience as a high school employee or working in affiliation with high schools is required.
- Established work experience showing strong skills in program development and project planning.
- Adaptable, flexible, and eager to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve goals and successful proposal submissions.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing marketing and recruiting strategies.
- Experience showing independent work, ability to prioritize multiple projects, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment. Evidence of excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proven experience working in a highly collaborative environment and interacting effectively with high school teachers and administrators while maintaining professional rapport.
- Possess a solid understanding and experience working with budgets and fiscal management.
- Must be computer proficient, with knowledge of major Microsoft Office Suite Applications.
- Experience maintaining and being responsible for confidential information, accuracy and ongoing record-keeping.
- Working knowledge of high school curriculum development and understanding of the issues faced by high school teachers and students.
- Possess an understanding of the fundamental principles of a liberal arts education.
- Demonstrated experience managing several projects simultaneously, ability to work with interruptions, and meet deadlines.
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to
demonstrate how they enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
To apply, please upload a letter of application addressing qualifications, resume, a diversity statement, and the names of three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/ Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.