Nebraska Wesleyan University has an opening for a full-time, Building Maintenance Technician for the Heating Plant. This position will operate and monitor high-pressure and low-pressure boilers and related boiler equipment which directs steam to steam lines running to the various buildings. Other essential duties include maintaining accurate logs and records and performing chemical testing on the feed water for boilers, repair some steam lines, and condensate lines. Some of the general preventive maintenance duties that may also be assigned to this position may include changing filters, checking ventilation in rest rooms, light bulb replacement, and other maintenance duties as assigned.
This position works the graveyard shift from 10:00 pm to 6:30 am, six months of the year during heating season, typically, October through April. During the non-heating season, more general maintenance duties are performed during the day shift.
* Operates high-pressure and low-pressure boilers and related boiler equipment
* Manufactures and directs steam to steam lines running to the various buildings
* Monitors operation of boiler and related equipment
* Keeps and maintains accurate logs and records
* Performs chemical testing on the feed water for boilers and records results
* Maintains all boiler and boiler‑related equipment; makes repairs and requests necessary parts
* Performs carpentry, janitorial, painting, and plumbing duties related to operation and maintenance of the boilers and related boiler equipment
* Performs general preventive maintenance duties including but not limited to changing filters, checking ventilation in rest rooms, and light bulb replacement
* Perform other work as assigned including snow removal as part of a team
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
* Competitive applicants will have a variety of skills in all-phases of maintenance
* Must be able to use various hand tools such as wrenches, grinders, drills, measuring devises etc., and use safely without injury to self, others or property
* Should have basic knowledge of plumbing; should know mechanics of piping
* Should be able to or learn how to cut, thread, and fit pipes. Should be able to solder and sweat copper pipes
* Should be flexible and able to respond to changes in weather conditions, equipment, and operational conditions
* Must be able to work as part of a team as well as independently during night shift
* This position will require the possession of or the ability to obtain a valid driver's license
* Working knowledge of computers for tasks including reading email, logging hours and entering work order information is necessary
* Ability to perform work with prolonged standing, bending, and working in cramped areas and working on roofs, from ladders, man-lifts and on scaffolding at various heights
* Ability to do physical work, including lifting, climbing, regular use of stairs, work at various heights, and lift up to 50 pounds on a regular basis
* The position also works with potentially dangerous commercial tools and equipment in installing, maintaining and repairing systems
* Will be required to work on call outside of regular hours
Prior to employment, applicants will have to successfully complete a criminal background check, pre-employment drug test, and pre-employment physical. NWU offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefits plan including Health, Life, Disability, Retirement, paid vacation and sick leave, and 100% tuition discount for employee and dependents after one year of service.
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how they enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
To apply, please upload a letter of application, resume, a diversity statement, and the names of three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.