Assistant Professor of Mathematics and Computer Science
Nebraska Wesleyan University invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professorship of Mathematics and Computer Science, beginning August 2022. Candidates must have a strong commitment to teaching at an undergraduate institution.
Nebraska Wesleyan University places high value on personal attention to students. We seek candidates who have demonstrated effectiveness in undergraduate teaching, and have a commitment to creative instruction in a variety of formats, including lecture, active learning, and one-on-one interactions.
NWU offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefits plan including Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Disability benefits, Retirement, and 100% tuition discount for dependents after one year of service.
Nebraska Wesleyan University is a liberal arts university of approximately 2,000 undergraduate and graduate students in Lincoln, Nebraska. The University’s steadfast commitment to putting learning into action through internships, study abroad, service learning and collaborative research has yielded tremendous outcomes for students and alumni.
This position is open to all areas of specialization in Mathematics, Computer Science or Statistics. Faculty are expected to teach a variety of lower- and upper-level mathematics and courses. The Mathematics and Computer Science Department is home to the new Data Analytics (currently named Integrative Data Science) major. Candidates who are also able to teach data analytics courses will be given strong preference; demonstrated proficiencies in Python, Excel, SQL, R, and/or data visualization through industry experience, teaching or research are most relevant.
Final rank upon hire will be determined by the Provost commensurate with experience and education.
* Ph.D. in Mathematics, Computer Science or Statistics
* Stronger applicants will also be able to show technical proficiencies relevant to data analytics
* Evidence of effective teaching of a variety of mathematics, computer science and/or statistics courses
* Strong commitment to student-centered active learning and student engagement activities
* Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a variety of constituents
* Commitment to teaching at an undergraduate institution
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how they are able to enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, sexual identity and orientation, veteran status, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
Please submit the following to https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/. For full consideration, these materials must be uploaded by December 15, 2021:
- A 1-2 page cover letter addressed to Dr. Kristin Pfabe, Mathematics Search Chair, describing your interest in teaching at Nebraska Wesleyan University and your qualifications for this position (including those relevant to the Data Analytics major, if applicable),
- curriculum vita,
- If applicable, provide evidence of technical proficiencies relevant to data analytics; this can include sharing a GitHub page, course materials, certifications, a public dashboard, etc.,
- a statement of teaching philosophy (include a description of a typical day in a class you teach),
- evidence of excellence in teaching (examples: summary of teaching evaluations, documentation of classroom observations, etc.),
- a statement of your commitment to diversity and inclusion, particularly addressing how this influences your teaching
- unofficial undergraduate and graduate transcripts, and
- telephone numbers and email addresses of three references who could address the quality of your teaching.
Nebraska Wesleyan University is not accepting application materials through MathJobs.org.