Nebraska Wesleyan University Department of Music invites applications for an Assistant Professor of Instrumental Activities as a Fixed Term position. This is a full-time faculty position to begin Fall 2021 with annual renewal. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications and includes a comprehensive package with health, vision and dental insurance benefits, retirement benefits, a generous holiday schedule, and undergraduate tuition remission for employees’ dependents among other benefits. NWU is an accredited member of NASM. For more information about the NWU Department of Music, visit https://www.nebrwesleyan.edu/academics/majors-and-minors/music/music-degrees. Final rank upon hire will be determined by the Provost commensurate with experience and education.
- Direct and provide leadership of NWU Symphonic Band, including organization of an annual tour
- Additional teaching responsibilities may include: Conducting, Jazz Band, Pep Band, applied lessons according to candidate’s primary instrument, instrumental methods courses, other courses to be determined by applicant’s qualifications and departmental needs
- Commitment and energy in developing a high-impact recruiting plan to attract and maintain talented instrumental music majors as well as non-majors. This will include: working closely with Music faculty and Admissions, generating leads phone/e-mail contact with prospective students, hosting campus visits, building strong relationships with local, state, and regional band directors, high school clinics and festivals, being a dynamic presence at recruiting events, organizing recruiting events such as the Wesleyan Honors Festival Band; and other creative strategies.
- Supervise and coordinate Instrumental Activities (ensembles, curriculum, applied lessons, adjunct faculty)
- Master’s degree or terminal degree in Music
- Energy, musical artistry, vision, and commitment to develop strong instrumental ensembles
- Demonstrated interpersonal and innovative teaching skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with faculty and students
- Strong commitment to student-centered active learning and student engagement activities
- Knowledge of current issues in music education with understanding and application of technology use in the classroom
- Preferred qualifications include evidence of successful college teaching and recruiting experience, successful teaching in high school band programs, and/or private instruction on applied instrument.
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to
demonstrate how they enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
To apply, please send letter of application addressing qualifications, current curriculum vitae, evidence of teaching effectiveness (such as a teaching philosophy statement, syllabi, and/or teaching evaluations), a statement of your commitment to diversity and inclusion, particularly addressing how this influences your teaching, the names of three professional references, and unofficial transcripts to the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Review of applications will begin April 2nd and continue until the position is filled.