Assistant Director of Career Development
Nebraska Wesleyan University seeks an Assistant Director of Career Development, dedicated to supporting and empowering students of all stages as they define and implement professional goals. Candidates must be able to work efficiently in a fast-paced, schedule-driven environment, balancing appointments, presentations, programming, and projects. Strong skills in oral and written communication, presentations, marketing, student programming, counseling, and an understanding of career and student development theories is necessary. The role involves some evening and weekend programming.
NWU offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefits plan including Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Disability benefits, Retirement, seven weeks of paid time off per year through vacation and holidays, and 100% tuition discount for dependents after one year of service among other benefits.
- Counsel, advise, and coach students in the areas of major exploration, career choices, career preparation and readiness, job search strategies, and graduate/professional school entrance.
- Develop, implement, and assess programs and special events that facilitate career development.
- Plan and lead weekly student staff training and professional development. Share in supervision responsibilities.
- Devise and execute marketing strategies for Career Center services and events.
- Critique student resumes, cover letters, and personal statements providing feedback through appointments (in-person and virtual) and over email.
- Research and implement new resources and platforms to support student learning in relation to career development.
- Demonstrate strong writing and speaking skills, as well as subject knowledge, to curate high quality content for up-to-date resources (videos, guides, handbooks, etc.) useful to staff, students, faculty, and alumni.
- Design and customize presentations and workshops to fulfill classroom learning objectives.
- Develop and sustain relationships across NWU and our external community to support the success of programs and events.
- Devise and carry out social media campaigns to increase student engagement.
- Oversee and administer NWU’s Career Assistance Network and Internship Database.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three years of experience in career services or a related field.
- Ability to work independently on self-directed assignments, with minimum supervision, and collaboratively in groups.
- Ability to prioritize, make sound and mature decisions, adjust to varying situations, and take initiative on tasks.
- Ability to collaborate and interact with faculty, staff, students, administrators, employers, and the public in a friendly and professional manner. This includes establishing rapport, maintaining harmonious working relationships, and dealing tactfully and professionally with others.
- Extensive computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel (including formulas), and PowerPoint. Proven ability to use email, file sharing applications, and social media proficiently. Ability to use these tools, or others necessary, to prepare reports and to analyze and determine the applicability of data, draw conclusions, and make appropriate recommendations. A willingness and enthusiasm for learning new technologies is essential.
- Ability to create and maintain organized systems for data/record management; strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and be responsible for confidential information.
- Master’s degree in Higher Education, Student Affairs, Counseling, or a related field.
- Experience with career management systems such as Handshake, Symplicity, etc.
- Experience with video and content creation learning platforms such as Camtasia and Articulate360.
- Experience with assessment methodologies such as MBTI, Clifton Strengths for Students, Strong Interest Inventory, etc.
- Experience with, and appreciation for, liberal arts education and its applicability to a range of professional options and skill development.
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how they are able to enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, sexual identity and orientation, veteran status, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
To apply, please upload or provide a letter of application, resume, diversity statement, and the names of three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.