Assistant Athletic Director
Nebraska Wesleyan University (NWU) is seeking candidates for a full-time, benefit-eligible candidate to work as the Assistant Athletic Director to manage the overall administrative support of the athletic department for the Athletic Director, staff and coaches for 21 athletic teams. This is a full-time, exempt position which requires significant evening and weekend responsibilities flexed within a 40-50 hour work week.
The successful candidate will be an advocate for diversity, serves as the primary NCAA compliance officer, and will the NCAA Senior Woman Administrator, if applicable. Other major roles include oversight of athletic insurance claims, administrative reporting like EADA reporting, athlete eligibility, and assist with game/event operations for home athletic events.
NWU offers a comprehensive package including health, vision and dental insurance benefits, retirement benefits, and undergraduate tuition remission for employee’s dependents among other benefits.
- Serves as the athletic department business manager, act as primary liaison to the university business office, and administrative duties.
- Processes requests for payment for officials; verifies merchandise has been received; makes copies of forms, maintains and updates files, initiates follow up contacts with vendors to resolve problems.
- Collecting financial materials from Business Office for athletic functions such as checks, game change, official's payment checks, team travel money, credit cards, and materials as requested from the Business Office; and handles ticket sales for post season sports.
- Assists Athletic Director with budget preparation, checks monthly budget summary information from Business Office for discrepancies and paper work and data entry errors in posting. Communicates with coaches or Athletic Director regarding need for corrections and makes appropriate corrections. Assists with process of hiring and orientation for new coaches.
- Organizing/Overseeing team travel, including collecting itinerary from coaches, scheduling vans and buses, making hotel reservations as necessary, ordering cash advances for travel expenses.
- Maintains and updates current pass list for each N.W.U. athlete and coach. Collects athletes' complimentary pass lists, records information, compiles pass list for each home sporting event in compliance with NCAA rules, and prepares and mails complementary passes.
- Administers student athlete insurance programs: Supervises Head Athletic Trainer in correspondence with parents of injured student athletes and medical care providers and filing insurance claims.
- Submits and manages Arbiter & RefQuest information for game schedules and officials’ assignments and manage scheduling updates.
- Prepares post-season travel, reports, and award nominations, printing letter winner certificates, ARC certificates and post season certificates.
- Oversees laundry operations, equipment repairs and supply orders.
- Assist with game/event operations for home athletic events.
- Serves as the primary NCAA Compliance Officer and Senior Woman Administrator.
- Responsible for eligibility of student athletes and compliance with all NCAA and American Rivers Conference rules. Prepares athletic eligibility lists by collecting information (including date of first contest or first scrimmage) and rosters from individual coaches, compiling information into lists, calculating seasons of competition, submitting lists to Registrar's Office, updating rosters via Colleague, obtaining necessary signatures, checking for accuracy of information on final copy, and submitting lists to Conference Chair prior to each sport's first competition.
- NCAA Senior Woman Administrator. Assist Athletic Director with day-to-day development and implementation of athletic department vision, mission, and strategies, including solving problems, creating a professional climate, addressing gender issues, and compliance with NCAA, and ARC directives.
- Abide by all regulations, policies and procedures of the NCAA, American Rivers Conference, and Nebraska Wesleyan University.
Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
Successful candidates will have:
- Bachelor's degree required, Master’s preferred.
- Three to five years of experience in athletic department administration at the college level required Demonstrated expertise.
- Experience showing ability to support and retain a diverse population of skilled student-athletes
- Must be able to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, with students, faculty, and the general public.
- Experience with knowledge of NCAA and conference eligibility requirements.
- Working knowledge of athletic equipment, event and game management.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and success in working with a variety of persons that will build strong, long-term relationships with student-athletes, students and stakeholders.
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills to produce complete and accurate work and manage production activities.
- Demonstrated critical thinking, time management, and ability to troubleshoot complex issues.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and handle pressure situations.
- Flexibility and ability to prioritize tasks and meet scheduled and unscheduled deadlines.
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how they are able to enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, sexual identity and orientation, veteran status, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, a resume, a diversity statement as a writing sample, and the names of three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.