Nebraska Wesleyan University seeks a financially minded individual to join our Advancement & Alumni Relations team. The 12-month, full-time Accounts Specialist manages restricted funds paid to Nebraska Wesleyan, with a focus on financial activities from a growing portfolio of government and private foundation grants.
Under the supervision of the Director of Sponsored Programs & Foundation Relations, the Accounts Specialist provides proactive accounting support to a diverse community of faculty and staff engaged in activities funded by grants and restricted gifts. The person in this position must be able to interpret sponsor requirements and effectively educate colleagues on best practices for stewarding funds.
The Accounts Specialist serves as the financial liaison between Nebraska Wesleyan and various grantmakers. The position works collaboratively with Business Office staff to monitor spending, submit payment requests, and meet reporting deadlines. Additionally, the position provides critical support to fundraisers as we prepare for a comprehensive campaign to support Nebraska Wesleyan’s strategic priorities. The position requires strong interpersonal qualities, a high level of ethics and integrity, and an interest in efficient processes to achieve shared goals.
Grant administration is a fast-growing field with career opportunities in a variety of public and private organizations. The person in this position will hone transferrable skills for managing projects on time and within budget. They will develop specialized knowledge in federal regulations, accounting principles, sponsored programs, and philanthropy relevant to higher education and non-profit organizations.
NWU offers a competitive wage and comprehensive benefits plan including Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance, Life Insurance, Disability benefits, Retirement, a significant vacation and holiday package, and a 100% tuition discount for dependents after one year of service among other benefits.
- Provide accounting services that comply with university policies, federal regulations, and sponsor guidelines.
- Assist with preparing grant budgets and budget modifications.
- Reconcile grant expenditures and ensure issues are promptly and accurately resolved.
- Routinely review expenditures to assess spending rates and forecast expenses.
- Complete annual, quarterly, monthly, and other reporting to grantmakers.
- Manage administrative processes relating to subawards and payroll compliance.
- Manage charitable gift annuities and insurance policies gifted to the university.
- Track restricted endowments and communicate spending balance to relevant campus stakeholders.
- Enhance professional knowledge by attending workshops and monitoring changes to federal regulations.
- Bachelor's degree is required.
- At least two years of related work experience is required.
- Experience making decisions independently and using professional judgment under pressure is required.
- Experience overseeing an accounting operation such as reconciliation, budgeting, or financial reporting is preferred.
- Practical experience with grants or project management is preferred.
Diversity is a core value of Nebraska Wesleyan University’s mission and we embrace it as a source of strength. Applicants are encouraged to demonstrate how they enhance and embrace this University core value in a diversity statement submitted as part of their application materials.
Nebraska Wesleyan University provides equal educational and employment opportunities to qualified persons in all areas of university operation without regard to religion or creed, age, genetic information, gender identity and expression, disability, marital status, race, or national or ethnic origin, in compliance with state and federal laws, including but not limited to Title XII, Title IX, and the ADA. E-Verify, EOE.
To apply, please upload a letter of application addressing qualifications, resume, a diversity statement, and the names of three professional references at the following URL: https://nebrwesleyan.applicantpro.com/jobs/ Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.