Employees' Help Needed in Providing Thanksgiving Meals to Huntington Families
For the 19th consecutive year, NWU employees are invited to help make the Thanksgiving holiday a bit brighter for nearby Huntington Elementary School families.
The Ventures In Partnership program between Nebraska Wesleyan and Huntington Elementary promotes a mutually beneficial partnership between the two schools. Please consider joining your co-workers and NWU students in supplying festive meals for Huntington families who would otherwise not be able to sit down to a traditional turkey dinner. Their enrolment has grown and therefore so has their need. This year's goal is 90 meals.
If you and/or your group can provide a meal, contact Jo Bunstock x2355 by Tuesday, November 13. We ask that you supply the suggested items below plus $15 to purchase a turkey, fresh dinner roles and margarine. Food items and money should be delivered to room 202 in the Weary Center before 4 p.m. on Friday, November 16.
In addition, each spring NWU helps sponsor a train ride for the Huntington children at the Lincoln Children’s Zoo in conjunction with their annual family day. If you or your group can donate an extra $5 for that event it will also benefit the families of Huntington School.
Faculty, staff and students who participate in this project are asked to keep track of their volunteer time and log the hours toward the 12,500 Hour Service Challenge.
Suggested Thanksgiving Grocery List
- 5 lb. bag of potatoes with 1 jar/package of gravy OR 2 cans of sweet potatoes with a bag of marshmallows and a small bag of brown sugar
- 1 can cranberries
- 2 cans vegetables
- 1 can fruit
- 1 large box of Jello
- 1 box dressing
- 1 can pie filling (if you choose pumpkin, include a can of milk)
- 1 box pie crust mix or prepared pie crust (not the kind that requires refrigeration)
- 1 container powdered fruit drink mix
- 1 disposable turkey roasting pan
- 1 turkey-size oven bag
- 1 package Thanksgiving napkins
- $15 for purchase of turkey & perishable food items