Planning and Costs

What scholarships and grants are available for study abroad?

Study Abroad Scholarships
Scholarships are available specifically for students who study abroad. Visit the Study Abroad Scholarships web page to learn more.

Study Abroad Grants
Additionally, NWU offers Study Abroad Grants for students taking a short-term trip, semester, or academic year. Visit the NWU Grants page. Fill out the appropriate application and turn it into the Office of Global Engagement by the deadline. 

Contact the Scholarships and Financial Aid office at NWU to discuss these opportunities.

Will NWU and Federal financial aid help with study abroad program costs?

Exchange Programs

  • Nebraska Wesleyan financial aid (scholarships, grants, etc.) will “travel” with you on an exchange program
  • Federal financial aid (loans and grants) will “travel” with you on exchange programs.

Non-Exchange Programs

  • Nebraska Wesleyan financial aid (scholarships, grants, etc.) will NOT “travel” with you on an exchange program
  • Some federal aid will travel with you on non-exchange programs.

Contact the Scholarships and Financial Aid office at NWU to discuss your specific aid package.

Is there an application fee?

If you are applying for ISEP Exchange, the non-refundable application fee is $390, payable to ISEP and is due with your ISEP application.

How do you pay NWU tuition and fees?

Exchange Programs
On an exchange program, you will pay NWU tuition and fees directly to NWU.

ISEP and Tartu Exchange
On the ISEP and Tartu Exchange, you will also pay NWU room and board (single room in Centennial Hall and the Gold Plan).

Non-Exchange Programs
On miscellaneous programs, you do not pay NWU costs but rather pay the program directly.

Is there a deposit for housing?

If so, do not include that amount here. Expect to pay it upon arrival. You should get that amount back when you leave, assuming your room is not damaged.

What will food cost?

If the program cost does not include your meals, estimate $30 per day for food.

What should you expect, living in another country?

We want you to be as prepared as possible before you go. Visit the U.S. Department of State International Travel Information and Living Abroad pages for information that will make your travel and stay better.

  • Visit the U.S. State Department Visas to start learning about where you are going.
    • Location of the U.S. embassy and any consular offices;
    • Whether you need a visa;
    • Crime and security information;
    • Health and medical conditions;
    • Drug penalties; and
    • Localized hot spots.

What will my flight and travel cost?

You will be responsible for purchasing the tickets necessary to reach your destination.

You can estimate the cost of round–trip airfare by going to or and plugging in the approximate dates of your travel.

For more information about European rail passes, visit

How do you get a passport?

All U.S. citizens need a passport to travel outside the United States including travel to Canada, the Caribbean Islands, and Mexico. This is a change from past requirements that allowed U.S. citizens to travel to some other countries using only their driver’s license or birth certificate.

Get Your Passport Now

Passports cost $135 and are valid for 10 years. If you were age 15 or younger when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 5 years.

For more information visit the U.S. Department of State Passport Site.

Passport Application and Photo Locations:

  • Lincoln, NE Passport Offices (always call ahead to double check hours):
    • USPO - Statehouse Station
      301 Centennial Mall So
      Lincoln, NE 68509-9998
    • USPS – Westfield Mall
      5945 R St.
      Lincoln, NE 68505
    • USPS - Lincoln MPO
      700 R St.
      Lincoln, NE 68501-9653
    • UNL NCard Office
      Nebraska Union Room 121
      14th and R  St
      Lincoln, NE 68588
      phone: 402.472.7331
      fax: 402.472.8282

Other Passport Photo Locations:

  • Walgreens
  • FedEx-Kinko's
  • AAA Insurance Agency

When will you need to get a student visa?

A student visa is issued by the foreign government to grant permission for you to enter the country for the purpose of being a student. Some countries call the student visa a residency permit (Denmark) or entry clearance (UK).  Visit your specific country embassy website to find out information about student visa requirements.

Every country has different visa laws:

  • Most countries require a student to obtain a student visa prior to departing the U.S.
  • Some countries (such as Germany) require you to get the visa after you've entered their country

YOU are responsible for obtaining a visa

It is the student's responsibility to apply for a visa in a timely manner—prior to departure, if required.

  • Contact the embassy of the foreign country EARLY to check the requirements.
  • Costs for visas range between $0-$568 and with an average cost of approximately $100.

Will you need immunizations or an immunization record?

The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and World Health Organization (WHO) provide up-to-date and complete health information on specific destinations as well as important details about inoculations and immunizations.

Will you need to purchase health and accident insurance?

It is mandatory that all students studying abroad are covered by health and accident insurance specific to being outside the U.S. See the Health and Accident Insurance web page for details.


Sarah Barr
Director of Global Engagement

Ian Bargar
Study Abroad Advisor

Tom Ochsner
Director of Scholarships and Financial Aid
Smith-Curtis, Room 207

Gerise Herndon
Coordinator for National and International Prestige Scholarships
Old Main, Room 119

Cathy Nelson
Coordinator for National and International Prestige Scholarships
Old Main, Room 202